Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Gerald

Faster drying

Rate this topic

I noticed today that the BOC bowls I rough turned seem to be drying much faster than usual. I know the air is dry even tho it has rained a lot. Earlier this week the RH in the shop was 35. Just wonder if anyone else had noticed this in colder weather?

A couple of weeks ago I turned a holly bowl from a fairly fresh cut log. It seemed dry almost as soon as I took it off of the lathe. The wall thickness was about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. In the summer, I keep a dehumidifier running in the shop but this time of the year it's turned off. I don't have a humidity meter but I'm pretty sure the RH is low because II got a couple of shocks of static off of the shop vac hose.

I like to put my green blanks on racks built to run along the center beam of the house.  The furnace keeps it warm and dry up there.  Mostly dry after one winter.

I haven't really paid any attention to that as usually just forget about a roughed bowl for a year or sometimes more. It stands to reason they would dry faster this time of year, especially in a heated space.

Steve

Has anyone had any luck using a microwave oven to speed up drying? 

11 hours ago, PostalTom said:

Has anyone had any luck using a microwave oven to speed up drying? 

I tried it, but the wife caught me :rolleyes: