Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, It Was Al B said:

In todays' world, working with your hands has become less inspiring. People would rather sit behind a desk, or go out in the field with a clip board, where salaries are higher. It is harder to make a living as a craftsman, and the number of skilled craftsmen in this country within all of the trades is in serious decline. I believe we are just beginning to experience the results. Unfortunately with woodworking, cheap imports that can "serve the purpose" are putting our craftsmen out of business. Those who can afford true craftsmanship will continue to pay the price for quality, but most people are looking for the lowest cost.

It's nice to see someone else that is also honest enough to admit how things really are. 

There is certainly a decline in the number of workers entering the trades.   Read a magazine article several months back with contributions from Mike Rowe and Norm Abrahm about this very subject and the challenges of getting the next generation of skilled workers in place.   They called out the looming shortage as the average age of trade workers nears retirement.   Woodworking is only a hobby for me.   I drive a desk each day and am years from retirement, but money was not the deciding factor in my career choice.   I love what I do and would do the same if I had to do it over again.  I do wonder if the technology classes no longer being in schools plays a part.   

Locally, our vocational high school has more students trying to get enrolled than the school can handle. The school recently met with several business leaders concerning the need for skilled tradesmen.. The school in now opening full time evening classes for adults, to teach the skills needed for anyone who wishes to take the opportunity . I believe, with the shortage of skilled tradesmen, you may see a move to provide better wages for those skilled in the trades.  Many of the graduates from the trade school  have entered 2 or 4 year college programs, and now operate their own small businesses.  They are hiring trade school graduates because they know the schools' reputation. 

The school has a problem where some parents accuse the school of selective enrollment, based on academic achievement. The school probably has the highest % of students who do graduate, compare to other schools, and has something like 65% of their graduate who do continue on to college. I believe their success is due to what the school does to motivate the students.

Edited by It Was Al B

15 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

Locally, our vocational high school has more students trying to get enrolled than the school can handle. The school recently met with several business leaders concerning the need for skilled tradesmen.. The school in now opening full time evening classes for adults, to teach the skills needed for anyone who wishes to take the opportunity . I believe, with the shortage of skilled tradesmen, you may see a move to provide better wages for those skilled in the trades.  I see many of the graduates from the trade school who have entered 2 or 4 year college programs, and now operate their own small businesses.  They are hiring trade school graduates because they know the schools' reputation. 

The school has a problem where some parents accuse the school of selective enrollment, based on academic achievement. The school probably has the highest % of students who do graduate, compare to other schools, and has something like 65% of their graduate who do continue on to college. I believe their success is due to what the school does to motivate the students.

I'm sure that some C and D students might do well, even excel in a good vocational program. But, shouldn't the school be able to set the criteria for entrance? Especially since they appear to have plenty of applicants. It's just too bad that some students won't get the opportunity. OTOH, that might be motivation for those C and D students to buckle down.  Then there's the evening classes, if they are truly serious.

Edited by Gene Howe

Gene - agree with you on the school setting an entrance criteria.   But how long do you think it would take for someone to challenge it due to their feeling that they were "wronged".   Not sure what happened to best man (or woman) for the job.

25 minutes ago, Wil said:

Not sure what happened to best man (or woman) for the job.

That's not the way to pick someone for the job.  It creates a hostile environment.  Fair is fair, everyone deserves a chance.  Participation is key here.

rolling-eyes-clipart-rolling-eyes-clipart-images-smileys-on-pinterest-emoticon-smileys-and-smiley-faces-576-x-440.jpg.30334ad551050d4aa4f80c580286c566.jpg

Our local government thinks it is best to remove the following question from job applications.

Have you ever been convicted of a felony?           

How can children be raised to be good citizens if they don't need to be?

3 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I'm sure that some C and D students might do well, even excel in a good vocational program. But, shouldn't the school be able to set the criteria for entrance? Especially since they appear to have plenty of applicants. It's just too bad that some students won't get the opportunity. OTOH, that might be motivation for those C and D students to buckle down.  Then there's the evening classes, if they are truly serious.

Some parents feel that C and D students should have priority with entrance into the vocational school. I believe the school policy is to allow enrollment based on the same scale of student grade averages enrolled in the local conventional high schools.

Our county runs a good  2 yr. vocational program here. A prospective student must have maintained a C Average with no failed classes for the previous 2 years. They must also have a clean disciplinary record and no criminal record. Since they are juvies, I don't know how that's determined. I don't know the percentages but, a good number of the graduates are employed immediately after graduation. Many go on to earn higher degrees. 

30 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I've found taking two of these helps...:P

image.png.93c8f09eac719f6a246b403369d60750.png

But so do the kids these days.:wacko::o

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Tide+Pod+Challenge&qpvt=tide+pod+challenge&FORM=EWRE

Edited by HandyDan

On 1/14/2018 at 11:44 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

the satisfaction that comes with fixing,  building, creating something from your own hands...man that's the best high out there...

Couldn't agree more, Gramps! Well.... that and fishing.:blush: Never needed any other drugs! :D

John

1 hour ago, Artie said:

I deeply apologize if this offended anyone,

Didn't offend ME! -_- Rather well put, I thought.

John