Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
lew

Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners January 10, 2018

Rate this topic

Lew thanks for the post. I have the lase that Tim sells. It is a Ron Brown product and I saw at the AAW symposium in 2016 he replaced the adjusting knobs with single wing nuts so I ordered some and it is much easier to use.

Here are three articles on making Vacum Chucks:

The Brusied Brothers

Shoestring

How I built mine

Thanks Lew.  Going to take some time to wade through all the good information you posted this week.  Vacuum chuck really caught my eye.

Lots of good information again. I also have that laser assembly from Ron Brown but I've been way less than happy with it, thought it was a good idea poorly executed. Before I had a vacuum pump I made my own rotary adapter and faceplate type vacuum chuck. It worked really well. There is a hazard to a shop vac when using this method though. A shop vac uses  the air flow to cool the motor, with a vacuum chuck there is basically no air flow so it can damage the motor if used for long periods.

Steve

Lew, your diversity of topics along with highlighting those on this forum is phenomenal.

It has to be one of the most informative Turning forums out there.

I enjoy reading just to see what all you guys & gals have going and how you get there.

Thanks for your dedication and energy!

@Gerald Thanks! And thanks for the links and the comment on the laser.

@HandyDan Thank You!

@Steve Krumanaker Thanks! I hadn't thought about the airflow problem with the shop vac. I can see where that could easily become problematic.

@Grandpadave52 Thank You!

@Gene Howe Thanks!