Eating in the Fifties

HandyDan

12 minutes ago, John Morris said:

I remember reading an an article about proportions in fast food during the 50's. Fries were 3oz. Soda was in a 7oz. Cup, burgers were 2.8oz. crazy huh?

There was a drive in place in Tucson that sold silver dollar sized burgers. IIRC, they sold a dozen in a sack for a buck. Cute car hops, too. 

25 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Soda was in a 7oz. Cup

That allowed for the 1oz+ of ice...Some places you didn't get it in a cup. Got it straight up. Either that way or out of the machine a Coke was 6 oz. for 5 cents, then doubled to 10c. You had to drink in place or pay a 2 cents bottle deposit. The bottles went back to the bottling plant to be washed and reused. Each bottling city had their name, state cast on the bottom of the bottle.

We used to "draw" from the empty bottle cases to see who would buy cokes for the group. Usually went for farthest away. Our little 'ole County seat had a Coke bottling plant as did most. I took of tour a couple times in elementary school plus I had a great-uncle who worked there part-time along with his farming. "World of Coke" museum in Atlanta is a cool place to tour and go back in time...lots of free beverages at end of tour.

image.png.b9b84948a1a57e256634030a4a8e9600.png

38 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

I was eating GI food in the 50's. You could still buy raw, whole milk with 2.3% minimum butter fat, and, it was delivered to your door.

I was probably drinking some of the whole milk through my bottle in the early 50's. B)

We used to have milk delivered to our house also.

2 hours ago, LarryS said:

I was probably drinking some of the whole milk through my bottle in the early 50's. B)

We used to have milk delivered to our house also.

Our milk was delivered unhomogenized. In the winter, the milk would freeze, out on the stoop, and the cream at the top would push that little cardboard lid up, exposing a 3" spout of frozen cream. Man was that ever delicious.

Wow, great memories. I still remember we only had soft drinks (usually Coke) on Friday nights. The week the price doubled to 10¢ from 5¢ (see Dave's post above) my mom had sent me up the hill to the store to get a carton of "pop". I paid the new price of 10¢ a bottle (what did I know, I was just a kid) and went home. My mom was so mad she made me return the carton and get her money back. I do really miss those deposit bottles (on everything).

Are there any pops still sold in glass bottles? I miss 'em, too. Coke always seemed to taste better from a glass bottle. Pepsi NEVER tasted good.^_^

The only drinks in bottles any more seems to be beer and hard liquor. Beer always tastes better straight out of the bottle. I'm not man enough to drink the hard stuff from the bottle....well, there was that one time....:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Are there any pops still sold in glass bottles?

Pretty sure you can buy Coke around Christmas time each year in the retro 6 oz bottles. My daughter finds some retro drinks like Squirt, Orange Crush, Big Red, Dad's Root Beer and some others she brings home once in a while.

John's comment above about starting to drink coffee in the 50's brought back this memory.

Who hasn't been severed at least once by the ribbon while opening a can?

image.png.12ebada8baf264a08a72f04331bb8c1e.png

I spoke too soon. Was discussing the dearth of glass bottles with Phyl. She went to the pantry and pulled out 3 ea. 24oz. Bottles of Root Beer. Seems she bought 6 of them for the grands who like Root Beer floats. She never told me cuz I would've drank 'em. I love me a black cow, every now and then. But, now that I know where she hid 'em, all bets are off.:lol:

Archived