Vitamin D3 & the galaxy of things I didn't know

Cliff

I was  flipping the dial on the radio &  for a lark tuned to some random AM station.  There was a talk program with some guy going on about Vitamin D3 and all the  different functions  in the body that it facilitates.  Turn's out it's most all of 'em.  Hair nails skin bones  vision   digestion  yadda yadda yadda.

He claimed that whenever you go to the hospital for a cardiac issue they hit you with 100,000 iu  of the stuff as a matter of course.

That for our cardiovascular health it's really really important and that we should be taking a rather large amount of the stuff.

He claimed we should be taking about 5000 a day of d3 that it is about the same amount we'd get with  an hour in the sun.

OK.  I've heard a lot of health claims most of 'em pure lunacy like the one about marijuana curing cancer and laetrile and  all that sillyness about gluten causing Multiple Sclerosis   I mean there's boatloads of stupid stuff floating around that lots of folks just buy into.

So I thought I'd look into it a little. Turns out the guy was correct.  There's tons of research and  all the better sources like Mayo Clinic all corroborate the things he was saying. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heart_vascular_institute/clinical_services/centers_excellence/womens_cardiovascular_health_center/patient_information/health_topics/vitamin_d_and_the_heart.html

OK,  So I got a bottle of  5000 iu pills of D3 and have been taking one a day.

It hasn't made me 40 years younger but it has ( I believe) done something dramatic

Every year I suffer terribly with splitting  at the ends of my fingers.

It happens in winter.  When it's cold and dry.

I've tried dozens of things to combat it and  very few have  yielded lasting or serious results.  It started when I left machining. I figured maybe the oils I was covered on all day every day for years had something to do with it maybe they  taught my body to cease production of it's own lubricants I didn't know.   But I was sure it had something to do with the seasonal dryness

Now this radio broadcast happened just before the POLAR NUCLEAR BOMB landed on us here in the north east.    So the weather is super dry and cold.  Perfect for the onset of wild splitting in my fingers.  Mind you I already had been  dealing with several bad splits.

However a week or so after I started taking D3 the splits healed and have not returned. Not one.

Another issue I'd has is this weird thing with bits of skin rising up from my fingertips and  catching on pretty much every imaginable material except cotton.  Sometimes the catch is so bad that it pulls   a slice of skin off.   That has gone away too.

Even weirder  I've been a tad dehydrated. That always makes the splitting worse. No splitting.  

I'm blaming the Vitamin D3.

I looked into a D3 overdose.  Turns out  ya need about 50-Thousand iu a day for some time and you can get overdosed. IT's not good either.   I'm only taking 5000iu

Just got orders to go see the cardiologist by the family doctor.  Cardiologist says I'm good shape where my heart is concerned.  H asked did I ever get cramps.  Wasn't sure what he was talking about and told him only in my legs and feet.  He asked was I taking a D3 supplement and I say yes 2000iu since it helped immensely with my psoriasis.  He says not enough take 5oooiu and cramps will go away.  He was right.  Who da thunk?  Haven't had any split fingers this year either come to think of it.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:30 PM, Ron Dudelston said:

My doctor put me on 5,000 units a day a couple of years ago.  That was after two 50,000 unit shots,  It took a couple of months but my energy level definitely improved.  Unfortunately, I still can't play the banjo though.

GPT MY FIRST BOTTLE TODAY, READ LABEL, START TOMMORROOWW W/2 ADAY.

16 minutes ago, olbuck said:

START TOMMORROOWW W/2 ADAY.

What's ur plan to take Buck...2 in morning or 2 in evening or 1 morning/1 evening?

Just trying to figure out what seems to work best for everyone.

My night-time med pile is getting pretty large, but I seem to remember everything better then.

Guess I may have to break down and get one of those 7d x2 organizers

I've been taking 5000 iu daily for years. I take it in the morning. It seems to have kept my motors running pretty well. I'm 86, people tell me they don't believe I'm that old. Friends in their late 60's and early 70's ask how I manage to keep the pace . Guess it must be the Hi Test gas in the vitamin D-3.

Archived