Anyone Have a Carvewright?

Ron Dudelston

I had a friend drop off a Carvewright CNC router today.  He bought it a few years ago and he's about as non techie as they come.  In fact, he's content with his flip phone because he doesn't text and he refuses to get on the internet.  Anyway, he bought it and found out quickly that he was in over his head.  I downloaded the new Windows 10 version of the software and haven't really had the time to play with it.  Anyone have any experience with one?  If so, enlighten me.

I watched a 30 minute video on YouTube and it doesn't look like rocket science.  The patterns in the stock software are a bit sparse but I think you can import pictures as well as draw your own.  I'm building a pair of cherry bookcases right now and the customer wants an electrical outlet installed in the kick of each one.  I think my first project will be a couple of cherry receptacle covers.

8 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

I watched a 30 minute video on YouTube and it doesn't look like rocket science.  The patterns in the stock software are a bit sparse but I think you can import pictures as well as draw your own.  I'm building a pair of cherry bookcases right now and the customer wants an electrical outlet installed in the kick of each one.  I think my first project will be a couple of cherry receptacle covers.

Was it this one? He makes it look easy. The important part is designing the file. I would make one or two test cuts first.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question regarding new files.  Can you draw the file out prior to cutting or must you practice on scrap wood?

I have a vinyl cutter that I play around with.  When I have a new file I can resize to smaller or larger and substitute the knife for a pen tool and have the machine draw the design out.  Of course I am only plotting in 2-D.

I don't have a Carvewright but on our CNC I just raise the bit about an inch above the surface, set that as zero for Z, and run the pattern through the air to make certain everything looks good, that no clamps are going to be hit, that the target piece is big enough for the pattern to be cut, etc.  Usually I just do this one or two passes for the outer profile of the piece so it only takes a minute to test out.

David

On 1/23/2018 at 8:06 AM, Cal said:

I have a question regarding new files.  Can you draw the file out prior to cutting or must you practice on scrap wood?

I have a vinyl cutter that I play around with.  When I have a new file I can resize to smaller or larger and substitute the knife for a pen tool and have the machine draw the design out.  Of course I am only plotting in 2-D.

It is software based but from what I've seem, the best way to view the final result is with a piece of scrap.