I want to build a Thien baffle, but...

15 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I have the HF dc, vented directly outside. Ahead of the impellers, I just stuck a 35 gallon metal trash can with a plastic cyclone lid similar to this one...download.jpeg.622c63089f8f2b0df000fcf374813984.jpeg

It does an excellent job. I'd estimate that less than 15% of the finest dust accumulates outside. 

Woodcraft also has a Mini version that fits a 5 gal bucket.

I have the same one, Gene, and then added the "Thein" baffle plate to it. The cyclone action plus the Thein baffle works great. 

23 minutes ago, lew said:

I have the same one, Gene, and then added the "Thein" baffle plate to it. The cyclone action plus the Thein baffle works great. 

Lew, I'm ignorant about the intricacies of dust collection. My only aim is to keep as much of the sawdust out of the shop as I can. What is the advantage of the baffle? 

I'll be watching this.   On the shop vac, I have a Rockler Vortex that does a good job (but passes the big fluffy stuff).   The new vac is more powerful and it's really sucking down the lid that previously got a crack in it (handyman fix : duct tape).    Thinking about making a new top like the Thien and using the base.   

Also have a 35 gal trash can on the big DC with a simple top.   i think it would be improved with a Thien insert.

Keep us posted

11 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Lew, I'm ignorant about the intricacies of dust collection. My only aim is to keep as much of the sawdust out of the shop as I can. What is the advantage of the baffle? 

I'm no expert (and don't even play one on TV) but it is my understanding that it increases the efficiency of the cyclone effect. It sort of acts as a diverter directing- and keeping- the heavier stuff in the barrel. I have a Delta dust collector

26114-main.jpg.e3dae3f4b459eed70e4d1ac17bbf9ee7.jpg

The plastic bag only gets emptied about once a year and then it may only have a few inches of very fine dust in it.

If you are venting to the outside, you may not need the extra baffle.

Yes, most of the heavy stuff stays in the separator.   it has several advantages:

On the Shopvac

- saves the cost of new filter bags (frugal, not cheap!)

- if you accidentally suck up something you don't want (or think you might have),  it's generally in the top of the separator, not buried somewhere in a bag.

- you can see the stuff being sucked up (if you have a translucent barrel)

On the big dust collector

- Easier and less dusty to empty the garbage can than the bag on the DC

- Keeps heavy chunks / metal stuff out of the impellers

- Can be put closer to source of dust, if you wish and are organized, and stay out of the way, or closer to the DC -- your choice

I built a box for this purpose . Think the plan came from Shopnotes. the box is about 24 X 24x24 and the top has a piece of ply that drops down into the box in the middle about 12 inches. Also the article had a system of cut offs for different tools . Works well <but I have so many of these boxes probably dropped my efficiency.

One of the biggest advantage to venting outside is that it eliminates the bags. The separator collects most of the dust anyway but, eliminating the bags frees up a lot of space. 

I have a little 1 hp collector that is dedicated to the planer. Still gotta empty that one often. 

The shop vacs are Sears and, while they are excellent machines, they are very loud. Consequently, they are only used on the big belt sander and the oscillating spindle sander. My ROS machines have built in collection that can be removed to attach a shop vac. But, I'm lazy, don't like the noise and the hose gets in my way.

3 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Any other modifications to it Gene besides what you've shown?

Have you had any issues with it?

What bag replacements have you used or have you had to replace any?

The original bags were totally removed. One covers my mortiser and one covers the Shopsmith bandsaw. All that's left of the DC are the vanes, shroud and motor. The HF DC was sold with a nice rolling platform that the unit was mounted to. It now makes an over arm router mobile.

The little Jet DC has escaped any modifications. 

2 hours ago, AshleyJ said:

Having not yet made a decision on whether to burn $16 on a Chinese cyclone (see original post in this thread), I keep seeing better and better deals. The latest one is down to $8.82, and I figure if I wait a little longer they'll be paying me to take it. :)

Says this one ships from Texas.  Go for it.