Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Started roughing a Beads of Courage Bowl and noticed that this blank may allow for a natural edge or bark on side , just an area about 2 inch wide by 3 to 4 long. Question is has anyone had good luck doing a bark side on a hollow form?

Very interesting Lew. If I can get it to stay on it will not be that much.

2 hours ago, Gerald said:

Very interesting Lew. If I can get it to stay on it will not be that much.

Pictures...gotta' see some pictures...please & thank-you:P

This is the outside. Now to hollow. By the way this is Bradford PearIMG_1391.JPG.02f3fba8ed5a232b205f7fe8c9d77b76.JPGIMG_1392.JPG.62e98242970cdb32592140d4d2d81ca4.JPG

I think I'd give it a good saturation of thin CA. Might help keep things in place.

Are you going to add a dutchman across the crack at the base?

Edited by lew

Lew I used CA on the edges. That crack seems stable so I used CA to fill it . Funny thing is I drilled it after the photo and went thru the bottom. I think I have saved it with a plug I turned to fill the bottom, will see tomorrow.

16 hours ago, Gerald said:

This is the outside. Now to hollow. By the way this is Bradford Pear

Thanks for the pictures Gerald...One of the weaknesses of a Bradford Pear is internal occlusions.

That said, I had no idea BP could have such a grain pattern...

Hope this one holds together for you. Can't wait to see it all finished.

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Thanks for the pictures Gerald...One of the weaknesses of a Bradford Pear is internal occlusions.

That said, I had no idea BP could have such a grain pattern...

Hope this one holds together for you. Can't wait to see it all finished.

As a matter of fact I have discovered since I started turning BP a great deal of it has a curl in it , probably due to the stress. The pieces from this tree has a beautiful red color in the heart which a lot of it has when fresh cut. The exception here is that the last piece I finished in this tree held the red as seen below.IMG_2521.JPG.680bfa500bf18a15ca285da324372ac1.JPG