I finally sheared a pin

Fred W. Hargis Jr

in my snowthrower. I've used throwers fr over 20 years (3 different ones) and never sheared a pin. Today while cleaning up a little I accidentally sucked up a door mat while clearing the walkway. That didn't shear the pin. The mat was really jammed in the augers, so later in the garage I tried to get it out...I removed one pin, but sheared the other while I was fighting with it. The dang thing came with spares that I can't find (of course) so I'll have to pick some up later.

Lew I would argue. Its not having enough up stairs to even attempt any repairs!! Proud of you Fred for the attempt..maybe if you think of mowing the yard in 100 degree weather and the dog just peed in your only and last glass of ice tea you can remember where those dang shear pins are.

By the way, whats a snowthrower ??? Or for that matter, whats snow?

Edited by Smallpatch

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

The dang thing came with spares that I can't find (of course) so I'll have to pick some up later.

Sorry to hear of the dilemma Fred...

Now you've got me wondering what I did with the spares that came with mine plus the spare spares I bought at the end of the season closeout cause I couldn't remember where I put the spares...:wacko:

Seems I always run across them in July when I'm hunting for spare parts for one of the mowers.:unsure:

I wired two extra shear bolts to the snowblower handle.   I have only sheared one pin one time when son in law piled some pipe on edge of driveway and I did not see under a foot of snow.   I normally do 3 other driveways other than my house.   Having the parts where I am helps a lot.   Roly

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Yeah, the problem is you have to PUT the pins there.

Always some technical glitch & complication with this stuff isn't there. Ya'd think if they went to the trouble to put that feature on the unit, they could have put a pair of pins in there...

Some guy probably got a big bonus suggesting "let's save a couple of bucks by not putting spare pins in every unit and make extra on our parts sales.":angry:

Well, the first clue was that there was a spot to put them. Once you knew it was there, ya should've populated the spot. I'm thinkin' that if they went to the trouble and put a storage spot there, then at some point you were gonna need them!

I learned real fast to carry extra hitch pins and clevises on the tractor. I guarantee that you were gonna drop one while you were swapping out tools, and wouldn't be able to find it on the ground.