Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Okay Master of the great wood turner, lathe tool sharpening queries.... I have both a grinder and a table top belt sander. which do you think is better to use for a beginner and which grit for the sander and grind wheel. i was watching videos but they dont tell me. so i am looking to the masters for help.

IMO, the bench grinder is better because there are dedicated sharpening jig systems for grinders that are nearly fool proof. I sharpen with 180 grit cbn wheel but I used  an 80 grit for a long time with decent results. The Oneway Wolverine system  is the most popular sharpening jig on the market. I don't believe it's the best but it's the most popular and what I use.

Steve

You are less likely to overheat the tools using the belt sander, unless the grinder is a slow speed grinder (around 1700 RPM)

The belt sander should not remove as much material as quickly. For touch-ups, I'd start around 150 or 180 grit- but that's just me. 

If you need to regrind a tool shape/angle the bench grinder may offer more control of the shaping process. There are lots of jigs available (or shop made) to help create the proper grind/shape that are designed to be used with bench grinder setups.

I have an old Tormek water grinder. It is great for touch-ups but not so good for reshaping. Also, it takes extra time to setup and get ready to use.

You could get the Wolverine Jig and set it up to use with the belt sander.  A slow speed grinder and CBN wheels are all the rage today.  I use a belt sander and special homemade jig to sharpen with but am working towards the CBN wheels.  Need to get on the ball and order the wheels I have the slow speed grinder.

I am in the boat with Steve. I have an 80 and 160 CBN on a slow grinder. Note CBN have gotten cheaper and you can get a wheel for less than 100 now from HERE .

Wolverine Jig is great for reputability which is essential to sharpening. No experience on sharpening on a sander but there is a learning curve for any sharpening method.

If you cannot get a CBN best would be white wheels in 80 or 120.