Bowl for my daughter

PostalTom

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

I really like the accent...

If you're talking about the green stripe on the first bowl, yeah, that turned out OK, but it was a pain at first.  I was using a paint pen from  Hobby Lobby.  I thought I could just hold the pen up to the bowl and run it at the lowest speed.  Unfortunately, the tip of the pen was one of those fiber tips that had to be depressed into the pen to get the paint to flow.  That didn't work so good with the bowl spinning in the lathe.  Next try was to daub some paint on the bowl with it not spinning, turn on the lathe, and smooth it out with the pen tip.  After cleaning the green paint off my face shield, I gave up on the idea of doing it with the bowl spinning.  I didn't try anything like that on the second bowl in this post, just left it plain.  Thanks for the compliment.

4 hours ago, lew said:

Poplar isn't so easy to turn- gives you lots of fuzzies on the surface

Actually, I think that worked to my advantage.  When the wood started fuzzing, I would sharpen my bowl gouge.  That really brought home the value of sharp tools.  I didn't have that problem so much with the EWTs, but I am trying to learn how to use both kinds.