had a giant blank warp

Cliff

got a couple huge hunks of wood a while back.  Kept 'em in plastic.  Turned one rough set aside to dry and the thing warped so badly that I am unsure that I have enough wood to  take the warp out .  I'm thinking of methods of re warping it  back a little.  Water hear band clamps  an inner frame??

Any one tried doing this to save a blank?

My blanks usually end up cracking instead of warping. 

I have been experimenting with turning wet blanks to their final thickness (around 1/8"). so far they haven't cracked and they have maintained their shape almost perfectly. 

I was reading about a guy that turned his green blanks to about the typical 10 to 1 diameter/thickness and then soaks them overnight in a solution of dish washing liquid and water using a 1:1 ration. Then turns them the next day to their finish thickness. He claims they don't crack.

It's part of the deal. I generally follow the 10% up to about an inch and a half. The thing is, thicker leads to cracking. Have gotten to where I turn larger bowls to finish green, they will warp but most any bowl of any size will warp some even if twice turned. like Dan says, I've burned my fair share as well.  A friend of does make liberal use of hose clamps on larger bowls, more to help with cracking than warping.

Steve