Spin Top with Launcher

HandyDan

9 minutes ago, lew said:

Nice reuse of the spindles. Did you make a jig to keep them oriented as they passed thru the planer??

No I didn't.  I flattened one end and then just registered the flat end on the fence and that worked surprisingly well.  I did use push sticks.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Missed the intro...these are really cool...great find and re-purpose of the crib parts...

So what did everyone think of them?

Everyone loved them young and old alike.  Day before the party I had some time and made a large one, five inch diameter.  It had enough weight to run two and a half minutes.  Youngest loved it so I promised I'd make them one sometime after the new year started.  Pen and pencil kits and ornaments were a hit too.

23 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Everyone loved them young and old alike.  Day before the party I had some time and made a large one, five inch diameter.  It had enough weight to run two and a half minutes.  Youngest loved it so I promised I'd make them one sometime after the new year started.  Pen and pencil kits and ornaments were a hit too.

Glad everybody enjoyed them...great gifts...wonder if you drill a series of equally spaced, angled small holes in that 5" one if it would whistle while spinning? Now that would be really cool for the 2-/12/ minute show. Be sure to post some pics of the next 5" one.

Forgot about the pen/pencil sets and ornaments too. Both should have made anyone happy to get those as well.