bought myself a present a 3.5" SOG Vulcan

I had one about 2 decades ago and loved it then.  I gave it to a girl who was moving to a large city.

Eventually the lack of a carry knife just  eventually got to me.  So I got another.  This one is an enormous improvement.

The blade is like wet ice against  wet ice it opens and closes so cleanly and slick. I am convinced there is some kind of bearing in there.

Opening  it is about as good and quick as a switchblade. I push on the little tab on the back which pushes the blade out just a scosh and  the slightest flick of the wrist does the rest.  It can all be  one smooth movement.

Closing it is similar: I just pull with a thumb on a little tab and flick the blade closed.

There is a gripping serration on the back of the blade at the heel and in front where an index finger would go. 

It fits the  hand well,

I'm happy.  Just gotta  remember to leave it in the vehicle if  police ever ask me to step out.

Guess I am a traditionalist. I do not know how many knives I own. Have been carrying a pocket knife since I was in Cub Scouts and yes I still have it . Had a fixed blade BSA knife that got lost on a trip when I was a Scoutmaster. Carried Old Timers for many years , even changed the profile from sharpening. Then I bought a Case and that is the best I have had . It stays sharp.

2 hours ago, Gerald said:

2 hours ago, Gerald said:

Guess I am a traditionalist. I do not know how many knives I own. Have been carrying a pocket knife since I was in Cub Scouts and yes I still have it . Had a fixed blade BSA knife that got lost on a trip when I was a Scoutmaster. Carried Old Timers for many years , even changed the profile from sharpening. Then I bought a Case and that is the best I have had . It stays sharp.

Edited by schnewj

Really, either Case is getting better steel or it is one of the older ones! Case started going to Chinese steel in the late 70's. I couldn't get any of mine '78+ vintage knives to hold a decent edge for any length of time. Luckily, I never worried about it, I just handed them to one of the women running the hones and I had a factory edge again. When I would have new replacement scales, spring backs, or pins replaced on my '40-'60's vintage knives they were always wanting to replace the blade(s)...that was a hard NO with me.

I look at some of the junk being sold today and shake my head...they never would have made it out of final inspection.

I have had a knife in my pocket since I was 8 years old. My first knife belonged to my Great Grandfather which was a Case 2 bladed folder. I spent many hours whittling sticks and carving stuff on a tree in our front yard. Over the years I got into collecting knives. I had some nice custom made knives and built a display case for them. But as the kids came along my disposable income for the knives disappeared. So I sold off all of my custom knives and kept the ones that meant to most to me which were pocket knives carried by my Great Grandfather, Grandfather and Father. I have carried exclusively Spyderco knives since the the later 1980's. I really love the combination of straight and serrated edges to cut just about anything necessary. I also really love the composite handle with the aggressive texture so it won't slip in my hand. The photo is the Spyderco Endura with a 3.75" blade

SP10PSFGt.jpg

I, too, have carried a pocket knife since my single digits, and never leave the house without it. But I find most of the "modern" knives totally useless for my needs. They are meant either for stabbing large animals, or cutting rope, and neither is high on my list of things to do. I currently carry a three-bladed Remington Sportsman knife, and the 3" long, slender blade is the one I use most.... for paring apples! The steel could stand some improving, but apples don't dull it too fast, and I need to improve my sharpening technique anyway.

John

• 1 month later...

I had a small Buck knife I used to carry at work.  It was useful in cutting plastic straps on trays and bundles of mail prior to  processing.  One night, the lady I was working with needed a knife to cut straps, so I loaned her mine.  At the end of the night, she forgot to give it back, and I forgot to ask for it.  My fault as much as hers.  The next night, after realizing I hadn't gotten the knife back, we both looked for it, but to no avail.  Obviously, someone else got a pocket knife.  She was really feeling bad about it.  I told her it was the last thing my father gave me before he died.  Not true at all, I was just messing with her head.  She said now she really felt bad.  I said, jokingly, which she knew because we worked together frequently, that I was sure we could work something out.  She quickly responded "I don't feel that bad!"  Not really PC, but it was offered as a joke, and taken as a joke, no harm done.

• 2 years later...