Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Tom Fidgen's Unplugged Woodshop (two handled rasps)

Rate this topic

Two hands on a tool is always better for control.  Even using a file metal working I always want to use two hands on it.  Second handle makes so much sense.

Tow handles make complete sense, for shaping and fairing. As Tom describes it, it's like having a spoke shave in a file. My observation is that if you have a file like this, you can use it on the tricky grained woods, and you wouldn't have to worry about grain direction as you do with a shave. Once you get it roughed down to the line, you can then clean it up with a traditional shave. I love these.

2 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Got a link?

You can em here Gene, https://theunpluggedwoodshop.myshopify.com/

8 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Thanks, buddy. On my list.

Ya they are a tad pricey, extended future list for sure!!!:lol: Hmmm, tax return time?

One at a time won't feel so bad. His design of horizontal stitching sure makes sense. 

The price isn't too bad considering where and how they are made. Hand stitching ain't cheap....even in France.:lol:

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Great idea.

I googled "two handled file" and here's what I got. 

Z1oCqwlcpIx_.JPG.aba77123a6e7c9ec079c52b686d24686.JPGwho says Google doesn't have a sense of humor?

...or a good system of redirection to the sponsors that Google sells your information to, so they can target you with specific products. Try cleaning out your cache, cookies, etc and perform the same search and see all of the relevant search results...

Really nice files! I really do see the advantages, but at $130 a piece or $350 fro a set of three is a little pricey.

3 minutes ago, schnewj said:

Really nice files! I really do see the advantages, but at $130 a piece or $350 fro a set of three is a little pricey.

Amortization.:lol:

7 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Amortization.:lol:

...by the year or by the stroke?

Shaping contours in chair work, the advantages of these files far out weigh the investment. I can see the worth. I can Invision the advantages. Now I just need to get em, so I can actually report on them.

18 hours ago, p_toad said:

Respectfully disagree.   I have many tools which i use often, seldom, or not at all; but they all serve a purpose (even if only to look at and admire as a neat/good tool).   SWMBO may think they are a waste of money, but then she's not buying or paying for them.  I have a personal relationship with all my tools.  :unsure:

So, do you use adjectives, like NicKP, does (cute, handsome, pretty), to describe the lookers?  :lol:

Anyway, those tools remind me of certain two-handled draw knives or push knives i've seen; so probably good for control, but not a new idea.

Be interesting to hear how well they work when John gets his set.