Today (Wendesday) is turkey day

Fred W. Hargis Jr

for me, at least as far as cooking it. With my wife's disability I do all the cooking around here, and the family still thinks they have to go to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner. I have never been able to get everything done on T-day the way every woman I've ever witnessed do it...I'm just not that smart/skilled/clever/you name it. So a few years ago I discovered if I cook the turkey a day ahead and just warm it up on T-day I can usually handle the mashed potatoes/gravy/cole slaw/other stuff on T day and get dinner served. All this diatribe is simply a precursor to my salute to all the family cooks (mostly women) who manage to do all this on T day...and ENJOY it (I haven't got to that part yet).  Well done, T day cooks.....you are indeed talented! My turkey is coming out of the oven shortly...got to run.

15 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Good idea Fred.  A better idea is to have the "Family" members cook a dish and bring it with them.  Our family does it like that at Christmas.  Tomorrow we are going to the buffet at the local Holiday Inn which is even better.

31 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Good on ya, Fred. 

Afraid that if it were up to me only, dinner would be corn flakes. You're a good man my friend.

Have a wonderful T day.

I've suggested both of those ideas (Holiday Inn and the corn flakes) and was shot down.......

Scattered work hours and other obligations dictate we'll have two days of thanksgiving. Add in the mix three birthday celebrations, and the next few days are going to be hectic. One thanksgiving meal tonight, another tomorrow, combined birthday bashes Saturday. Sunday's schedule TBD, at least no one's told me what's going on. Monday, we head back to the mesa and start getting ready for Christmas at our house this year. 

I need a nap.

Archived