150+ years old table

Ron Altier

150 years ago, the wood of choice for the well to do was mahogany.  walnut was used for railroad ties and carved work.

the center bench at the Supreme Court is made out of mahogany.  not walnut.  the base color of mahogany is orange, not brown (like walnut).

i concur, looks like mahogany to me.

very delicate work, not the way i'd build a table.

6 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

I don't know if they did veneer  150 years ago but a lot of old furniture used veneer and a lot of it was Honduran Mahogany. 

a lot of older veneers were done on plank cores...

It is true that a piece of inferior quality furniture may be veneered but again it is not the presence of the veneer itself that determines that inferiority. More important to quality is the overall design and construction of piece, e.g. blocked corners in the case, good dovetail joints in the drawers, etc. But perhaps more important than any of these items is the underlayment of the veneer. In the 18th century thick veneers were applied to solid wood underlayments and secondary woods using primarily hide glue. Expensive mahogany veneer was applied over less costly woods such as pine and poplar. The veneer was so thick that slight imperfections in the underlayment did not “telegraph” through the veneer. As veneers became thinner the sub surface became more important. In the early 20th century the five layer process came into general use solving that problem.

For example, a well made drawer front of 1925 started out as a piece of solid poplar or oak with its grain running the length of the drawer. A sub-layer of inexpensive veneer, gum or poplar of 1/20 inch thickness, was then applied to both sides of the core with its grain at right angles to the grain of the core. Then a face veneer, walnut or mahogany of 1/28 inch was applied to the drawer front with its grain running the same direction as the core. Another inexpensive face was applied to the inside of the drawer front to finish it off. With the sub-layer of veneer to cushion it, the expensive face veneer can be very thin. Of course modern production solves that problem another way. It is very common to see veneer laid over a perfectly smooth manmade material, such as particle board, chip board or even highly compressed paper known in the trade as “medium density fiber core,” a fancy name for cardboard. What’s UNDER the veneer is more important than the veneer itself.

Honduran mahogany does stink when sanded. I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of working the African stuff. 

The place where I get most of my lumber sells African mahogany, Honduran mahogany and "Genuine" mahogany. What the heck is "Genuine" mahogany? On their web site, they all appear to be the same. But, "Genuine" mahogany is way more expensive. Like two and a half times more than either of the other two.

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Honduran mahogany does stink when sanded. I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of working the African stuff. 

The place where I get most of my lumber sells African mahogany, Honduran mahogany and "Genuine" mahogany. What the heck is "Genuine" mahogany? On their web site, they all appear to be the same. But, "Genuine" mahogany is way more expensive. Like two and a half times more than either of the other two.

I would suspect that they have Honduran Mahogany farms that are not in Honduras.  Genuine probably means it comes from a tree farm that is in Honduras.