Good Read

Gene Howe

i just design and make stuff. if you like it, great, if not, then it's not for you.

i let my work speak for itself.  more than once, i've made something, and the recipient got it and remarked that it's "too nice to use".  just use it.  that's why i made it.  i don't do art.  my stuff is functional.  it does something.

11 minutes ago, Cliff said:

The part he missed entirely is that part where  one takes a gook hard look at the  customer base

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! Marketing can play a big role in your customers desire to buy, or not to buy.

Chris's article while funny, he did leave out variables, I do agree that woodworkers can be pretty self adsorbed and egotistical, but I would never slam a guy for hanging out a shingle on his store front and putting "Purveyor" or "Woodsmith" on his sign. Those terms hearken back to an era of quality, and great craftsmanship. And that woodworker wants to communicate with the passersby, that they should enter the shop and have a look around. Depending on the community the shop is in, those words may make the difference in ok sales, or great sales. Also, "Hand Made". You bet, in a time of our existence where almost everything is machined and processed, you want that potential customer to know, that the items you display in your booth, or storefront, are indeed made by the person selling them, not imported from China. But I get it, I enjoyed the article, and I understood where he is coming from.

Just now, Gene Howe said:

Yeah, I guess it would be better than "My Wood Stuff". 

Glad I don't have to make such weighty decisions.:lol: 

Depends where your at Gene, I think My Wood Stuff would do quite well in some areas, whereas other terms would fail completely. Personally, being the minimalist I am these days, "My Wood Stuff" sounds nice, I like it.

( Christopher Schwarz writes : This person is a pompous wee-wee head with a fake underbite and who walks like they are carrying a corncob without using their hands. )                                                                                                                                                                                                                His article is a little to Trumpish for me. 

Edited by CharlieL

4 hours ago, clhyer said:

I should have asked... perchance thou wearest a powdered wig...:lol:

May I asketh thy reasoneth for thine afore mentioned enquiry;) Does thou wisheth to purve articles such as this?:lol:

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Yes. Your flowery prose doth class up the joint.:lol: