Chinglish

kmealy

Back in the '80s we used to get a laugh at work when someone would bring in a product manual for something made in Japan (or even correspondence from our Japanese support office).   We called it "Jinglish."

Well, the Chinese have taken over manufacturing and we now have "Chinglish"  or maybe translation brought to you by robot.  This if from a flashlight I got as a door prize this weakened [sic].

IMG_9621.JPG.60a9435d3859615fa79f4649c08ef35e.JPGIMG_9625.JPG.cff12f389da987c414717142210f0ef0.JPG

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

You've worked your way through to page 27 of the manual to item 44 and it says " insert woven filter material between sub assemblies L and Y." Oh, crap. That wasn't packing stuff?  

Learned long ago (having to assemble stuff), never throw anything away until it's completely assembled.

I think my favorite is

"At the same time depressed left and right side buttons remove back the rear cover ,  according to "+""-" polarity loaded three 1.5V AAA batteries, the the rear cover can be fitted according to the original direction."

Just so many errors.

On 11/15/2017 at 7:32 AM, Gene Howe said:

Topic for another thread, but I've found an excellent finishing use for the Kraft paper Amazon uses for packing. Now, if only those inflated plastic bubbles could be reused. :huh:

Kraft paper makes a good rubbing material to get out nubbies and "finish the finish"    I keep some in my touch up kit for smoothing and evening out things like overspray.

• 1 year later...

Talking about Chinglish, I got some photos to share: 

spacer.png

Yeah, only for tough guys...

[What the Chinese text actually tries to say: Basic Tool Kit]

spacer.png

Focus on your work, don't beat your mobile phone. 

[What the Chinese text actually says: Don't Use Your Mobile Phone Here]

spacer.png

Don't do it too hard...

[What the Chinese text actually says: Caution! Clamping Hazard]

Yes, China is a huge treasure trove of "humorous" English translations as you will gradually find out...

1 minute ago, woodenbrain said:

In the case you have indeed beaten your mobile phone, the next step might be getting it baked, as this sign would demand:

I wonder how much fun I could have if I made a copy of that sign and put in the restroom at Walmart......:DevilLaughing:

Archived