Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

Huh. A $40 way to make worm holes

Rate this topic

Saw this on something like "50 Handy Tools for the DIYer"  I must admit I had some customers that sold "fake antique",  er, reproduction, furniture and I had to use some tools like this on occasion.   I normally just resorted to an awl or string of keys and nuts.    When distressing, a little goes a long way.  One of my favorites was a worm hole pattern that was exactly the same in exactly one occurrence on each part of a table and chair set.  Yeah, that looks genuine.

When I was in a refinishing class, they had a distressing tool that looked something like a cross between a mallet and a midieval torture device.

But I do recommend distressing pine because it's not a matter of if, but when it gets dents in it.  New ones just blend in.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Varathane-243197-Distressing-Holing/dp/B0039ZGOUI

71HhNSqTRoL._SL1025_.jpg

Edited by kmealy

I just don't understand people!

You take a good, quality, piece of furniture and artificially, distress it to make it look old. If you want an old piece of furniture then just spend the money and buy it or rescue it. If you are so phony as to make people believe that you have an old piece with honest character, then you are just that, a phony. If you like the style then buy/make the piece and let it earn its own character.

I think it is a shame and disrespectful to take good wood, intentionally damage it and call it style.

Makes no sense to distress furniture let alone spend good money on a kit to do it.  The Habitat Restore sells plenty of distressed furniture and cheap too.   

Sometimes I'm distressed with what I make.:( 

Instead of starting over, maybe  take out my frustrations on it and sell it.

Yeah, right.

what ever happened to #12 shot and a sawed off???

2 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

Depending upon where you live neighbors might complain.  Or just come join you.

One of my customers used to carry a lot of furniture that they called "dusty wax."  Wax, naphtha, and pumice.  My wife said it looked like "insufficient cleaning."   But they sold a lot of it.

5a09bec058863_dustywaxchair.JPG.e4505adbbfda57f44df2b52f28b36942.JPG5a09bf050816e_dustywaxladderback.JPG.4003fc7fd12651ac94786f8af03d0930.JPG5a09bf0781d73_dustywaxon.JPG.bca1b183a0ce3b05109582721e0c44a5.JPG

3 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Or just come join you.

here they'll bring their own variations...

and I have to agree w/ your wife...

On 11/13/2017 at 10:43 AM, Stick486 said:

Still in your tool box?

John

2 hours ago, HARO50 said:

Still in your tool box?

John

public forum...