Route 66 Sign

MT Stringer

Thinking about carving this sign. So, whatcha think about it?

Our kids live just out of Tulsa, so I think this would be perfect for their man cave. Last time we were there, I actually got to drive down part of the route in the Historic section of Tulsa.

I have searched Giggle for images and saw a bunch of variations, and read part of the history. Regardless, this is the design I came up with.

I am thinking about painting some 1/2 inch mdf first, then doing the carving. Touch up would still be be necessary and some black painting, but hey, it is a Christmas gift. 12x16x1/2 inch mdf. 1/4 inch EM and a 1/8th inch EM and a 60 deg v with flat tip for the engraving.

Route 66 Preview01.jpg

Route 66 Preview02.jpg

Edited by MT Stringer

1 hour ago, 4DThinker said:

Looks good!   Although as long as route 66 has been there perhaps a little weathering after painting would be appropriate.  Maybe a bullet hole or two?   It would be interesting to figure out how to CNC what looks like an authentic bullet hole.  ;)

Good idea. Thanks. I already have the sign cut but I haven't broke it out of the work piece yet. I'll give that bullet hole(s) idea some thought. Since I used the bottom left for x,y zero, I can put it back in the same spot where it was carved.

Hmmm, should the hole go through the sign? probably so, huh. Look authentic then. Maybe use a 1/8th end mill to bore the hole...say to the size of a 45 cal. Then use a v groove bit to carve some "damage" around the hole. :D Disclaimer: I am not very artistic. :(

I am at my mom's house today. So no shop time for me. Design time=yes.

2017-11-13 14.09.38.jpg

2017-11-13 14.09.53.jpg

3 hours ago, 4DThinker said:

Maybe a bullet hole or two?

:lol::D:lol: I like it! 

2 hours ago, MT Stringer said:

I'll give that bullet hole(s) idea some thought.

2 hours ago, MT Stringer said:

I am not very artistic.

Got a .22 rifle and/or a local shooting range/club...save the CNC and make it truly authentic.:P