Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Rate this topic

Thinking about carving this sign. So, whatcha think about it?

Our kids live just out of Tulsa, so I think this would be perfect for their man cave. Last time we were there, I actually got to drive down part of the route in the Historic section of Tulsa.

I have searched Giggle for images and saw a bunch of variations, and read part of the history. Regardless, this is the design I came up with.

I am thinking about painting some 1/2 inch mdf first, then doing the carving. Touch up would still be be necessary and some black painting, but hey, it is a Christmas gift. 12x16x1/2 inch mdf. 1/4 inch EM and a 1/8th inch EM and a 60 deg v with flat tip for the engraving.

Route 66 Preview01.jpg

Route 66 Preview02.jpg

Edited by MT Stringer

I think so.

Cool Mike...Great gift...IMHO anything Route 66 related is awesome.

Looking forward to seeing the final product!

Looks good!   Although as long as route 66 has been there perhaps a little weathering after painting would be appropriate.  Maybe a bullet hole or two?   It would be interesting to figure out how to CNC what looks like an authentic bullet hole.  ;)

1 hour ago, 4DThinker said:

Looks good!   Although as long as route 66 has been there perhaps a little weathering after painting would be appropriate.  Maybe a bullet hole or two?   It would be interesting to figure out how to CNC what looks like an authentic bullet hole.  ;)

Good idea. Thanks. I already have the sign cut but I haven't broke it out of the work piece yet. I'll give that bullet hole(s) idea some thought. Since I used the bottom left for x,y zero, I can put it back in the same spot where it was carved.

Hmmm, should the hole go through the sign? probably so, huh. Look authentic then. Maybe use a 1/8th end mill to bore the hole...say to the size of a 45 cal. Then use a v groove bit to carve some "damage" around the hole. :D Disclaimer: I am not very artistic. :(

I am at my mom's house today. So no shop time for me. Design time=yes.

2017-11-13 14.09.38.jpg

2017-11-13 14.09.53.jpg

3 hours ago, 4DThinker said:

Maybe a bullet hole or two?

:lol::D:lol: I like it! 

2 hours ago, MT Stringer said:

I'll give that bullet hole(s) idea some thought.

2 hours ago, MT Stringer said:

I am not very artistic.

Got a .22 rifle and/or a local shooting range/club...save the CNC and make it truly authentic.:P

Yes sir, I do have a .22 rifle. Got it for Christmas when I was about 14...50 some odd years ago.:D

I did find some vector clip art of bullet holes! :D

Looks really good, Mike!  Is your in-house artist going to paint the sign?

David

1 hour ago, difalkner said:

Looks really good, Mike!  Is your in-house artist going to paint the sign?

David

Probably. :-)

16 hours ago, MT Stringer said:

I do have a .22 rifle. Got it for Christmas when I was about 14...50 some odd years ago.

Almost identical time frame...only I bought mine for $10 from a guy that was having a "Going out of Marriage" sale.