Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Danl

Shop workbench for my son

Rate this topic

Looks good.  I am sure he will enjoy this and use it for a long, long, time

I have something similar to this in mind for an assembly table.   But due to other projects, away on the warming burner.

Edited by kmealy

you did a premium job on that Dan...

your son can't help but have an affair w/ it...

Sweet bench Dan. I really like the heft of it.

Double drawer is a great touch along with adding the finger rail.

What was your finish?

Great job . Really like the half drawer like Dan said. One suggestion when you do your own drawer slides they should be made of 2 different woods as this reduces the wear cause by use.

Very nice work. Good and sturdy. Your son will get lots of use out of it. As others have commented, the drawers in drawers is neat.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Grandpadave52 – The bench currently does not have a finish.  I thought I would wait and let my son see it and be a part of selecting the finish.  I was thinking of applying a home-brew wipe-on of BLO/MS/Poly.  My son may want to leave it raw.

Gerald- thanks for the advice on using different materials for the slides.

Danl

3 hours ago, kmealy said:

Looks good.  I am sure he will enjoy this and use it for a long, long, time

I have something similar to this in mind for an assembly table.   But due to other projects, away on the warming burner.

NEAT JOB.

Well, especially like the part about being able to disassemble.

You could have shipped it to me and called me son! 

Looks like a good tight fit on the nut . That nut must have been the turnee and the other end of the bolt was the turner!!!

Your trees sure grow and assortment of different woods! A fine looking project.

Smallpatch, tightening the nut took a little shade tree ingenuity.  I could only turn the bolt, not the nut.  I held the nut in a box end wrench with painter's tape. Then turned the bolt until the bolt fully engaged the nut.  Then I had to pull the bolt so that I could remove the wrench from the hole.  I then inserted a #4 flat blade screw driver into the hole and wedged it against the inner hole and one of the flats on the nut.  This took a little time but was doable.  A better approach would be to have drilled the counter bore hole a little deeper and then use a bolt which would be 1/2" shorter.  This would of allowed me to use the box end wrench until the nut was tight and still remove it from the hole.  Next summer drive your RV North and we can load one up to haul back South.  This will give you a chance to get out of the heat.  

Danl