Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

kmealy

What would you like to see in a finishing class?

Rate this topic

The committee in charge of our club's annual seminar met today and I've been drafted to do the annual seminar next spring on finishing.   All the other candidates fizzled out.   We hacked out some topics from what people in the committee wanted to see plus some outline of the classes I use to teach at Woodcraft store.  We normally have an all day (6+- hours given breaks, lunch & Q&A) [I went to a presentation this summer and the presenter (a woman) asked the host if there would be a T&A :) humorous malaprop]

Here's the initial outline.   There was some interest in hands-on.  Even if it's only spraying some water on cardboard or wiping on an oil-varnish finish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction
- 3 types of finish chemistry
- 3 types of application (wipe, brush, spray)
- 6 rules of finishing
Survey of 6 finish types -- characteristics, strengths/weaknesses,  suitable application method(s)
- Oils. Oil-varnish blends }
- Varnishes                        } How they relate & mix
- Waterborne finishes
- Wax
- Shellac
- Lacquer
Application methods -- when and how -- some hands-on work
- Wipe
- Brush
- Spray (HVLP, HVLP conversion, aerosols)
Coloring
- 4 types of colorants, strengths and weaknesses  of each, concentrate on dyes and pigments
- color matching
-- sample boards
-- color theory
-- standard colors (e.g., umbers, siennas, ochre, vandyke, black, white)
-- formulas

-- color wheels
- Toners -- what and how
- Glazes -- what and how

That looks like quite a bit for a 6 hour session. But if not figured in, I would touch on some of the impacts of the "green" movement and the watchouts needed. I'm thinking particularly of the new thinners that must not work as intended (judging from questions I see). The only thing (if not included) would be brush care...a good cleaning routine. But that's a really complete agenda.

Subcontractors.

- How to select the  most competent..

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

That looks like quite a bit for a 6 hour session

That does seem like a lot for the time allotted (especially if there is going to be some time for T & A :lol:

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Class #2 "Finishing the Finish".

Ya can't call it remotely done when it dries.

Yes, I  cover that in my varnishing segment.

Too much to be covered in 6 hrs.  Too much will be missed or unexplained....

I taught a co-worker how  to spray polyurethane in minutes with zero problems. One day he will have problems and will know  why I was the teacher and he is the student:).....

On 11/12/2017 at 10:25 AM, lew said:

That does seem like a lot for the time allotted (especially if there is going to be some time for T & A :lol:

You don't want to see that.   A bunch of old guys in flannel shirts.

9 minutes ago, kmealy said:

My kind of crowd....I'd be right at home!

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

is there any other kind of crowd...

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

is there any other kind of crowd...

No so much with woodworkers.   Just look at photos of wood shows, classes, etc.   Moobs are not my thing.