What would you like to see in a finishing class?

kmealy

The committee in charge of our club's annual seminar met today and I've been drafted to do the annual seminar next spring on finishing.   All the other candidates fizzled out.   We hacked out some topics from what people in the committee wanted to see plus some outline of the classes I use to teach at Woodcraft store.  We normally have an all day (6+- hours given breaks, lunch & Q&A) [I went to a presentation this summer and the presenter (a woman) asked the host if there would be a T&A :) humorous malaprop]

Here's the initial outline.   There was some interest in hands-on.  Even if it's only spraying some water on cardboard or wiping on an oil-varnish finish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction
- 3 types of finish chemistry
- 3 types of application (wipe, brush, spray)
- 6 rules of finishing
Survey of 6 finish types -- characteristics, strengths/weaknesses,  suitable application method(s)
- Oils. Oil-varnish blends }
- Varnishes                        } How they relate & mix
- Waterborne finishes
- Wax
- Shellac
- Lacquer
Application methods -- when and how -- some hands-on work
- Wipe
- Brush
- Spray (HVLP, HVLP conversion, aerosols)
Coloring
- 4 types of colorants, strengths and weaknesses  of each, concentrate on dyes and pigments
- color matching
-- sample boards
-- color theory
-- standard colors (e.g., umbers, siennas, ochre, vandyke, black, white)
-- formulas

-- color wheels
- Toners -- what and how
- Glazes -- what and how

That looks like quite a bit for a 6 hour session. But if not figured in, I would touch on some of the impacts of the "green" movement and the watchouts needed. I'm thinking particularly of the new thinners that must not work as intended (judging from questions I see). The only thing (if not included) would be brush care...a good cleaning routine. But that's a really complete agenda.