Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Rate this topic

Not a bad idea.  I made my own using a green LED (3V) and two AA cells in a 4-cell battery case.  Included a switch to turn it off when stored away. I used the same exact puck as well and probably the same alligator clip. I'm sure I was inspired by someone else posting the idea on one of these forums. I also found the puck a bit uneven, and used my CNC to mill upside down the plastic bottom parallel to the metal center.  

I've since abandoned it and moved up to a touch plate that works from LinuxCNC though. Probotix was nice enough to do the software side in their configurator, and show how to do the wiring side on their wiki page. It is VERY convenient to let the software run a subroutine and do the math to set where Z0 is. All that is needed is a single wire running from the plate to the 2nd parallel port on your PC.  The router I use is grounded all the way through its body.  That passes the probe ground through the frame down through the metal bit.  Not all routers ARE grounded through though, so you might need two wires from the parallel port and the alligator clip. 

4D

Edited by 4DThinker

I really need to build one of these.  When I do get to building this I'll do my best to make it as purty as yours, Mike. ;)

David