Turkey call

Ron Altier

45 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Wonder where they go? Must have a winter retreat somewhere...

I suspect he turned out to be the guest of honor seated at the head of the table too?:rolleyes:

Actually, one year I found out that the WLF were trapping and relocating the flocks. Apparently, the Citidiots had decimated the population in the Poconos, so they were trapping them out of my area and sending them East. I had watched one group all spring and summer, only to find out they got the whole flock the week before the season started. Needless to say, when the locals found out what was going on WLF found that their equipment and traps were mysteriously going missing or were destroyed. They finally got the message and stopped taking them and moved on, to, ah, more friendly pastures. In one case, they inadvertently, strayed onto the Seneca Reservation, the Res. police confiscated everything. The state raise a stink, but they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Edited by schnewj

5 minutes ago, kmealy said:

ROTFLMAO!

They wanted them back and now can't handle them. Imagine that! Turkeys are soooo cute! Um, right! Just like bears and raccoons are cute and cuddly...that is, until they decide to tear your arse up!

I've seen what turkeys can do to a dog. Not a pretty sight. Imagine a 15-20 pound fighting cock spurring you and trying to spill your innards all over the ground.

Well at least we now know where they go during hunting season:rolleyes:...

7 minutes ago, schnewj said:

I've seen what turkeys can do to a dog. Not a pretty sight. Imagine a 15-20

I saw what they did to a couple of cars and windshields in our area last year and ironically, three different State Police cruisers in a three week period. Lucky no one was seriously injured or killed except the turkeys.

Indiana DNR began a re-population beginning in the southern part of the state and moving northward 15-20 years ago. Between the turkeys and white tail deer, auto insurance claims have skyrocketed. We account for a total of 4 deer in our household and close to $20k in repairs during the last 20 years.

I came close to getting a young buck the other day...new growth with felt...bounced across the road in front of me out of one cornfield to another...a lot of movement this time of year between harvest and rutting. The same road has two large turkey flocks roaming about. Last year, I counted over 50 in flock and 25-40 in another. Another flock shows up from time to time in field across the road from me. The most I've counted in it is ~20. They're smart...know to stay along or close to roads so you can't shoot at them :lol:but also close to wooded areas...I assume they're feeding off of all the corn spilled from combines loading grain trucks and what spills from grain trucks/carts traveling on the county roads.

4 hours ago, p_toad said:

Turkeys have made a fair comeback here in Ohio, but the pheasant are slow as are the bob-white.   The winters of '77 and '78 killed off something like 70-80% of the pheasant and bob-white in the state and i see very few pheasant and haven't seen bob-white in years.  :(

Same here...coupled with all of the "corporate" type farmers anymore who have bulldozed fence rows and wooded areas away plus even farming through waterways so they can farm roadside to roadside. Lack of cover crops and hay fields too have significantly contributed to their decline...About every other summer we manage to attract a cock pheasant who hangs around in the yard even eating with the birds. Usually we'll see a hen and some chicks those same years.

Typically see one or two small covey of quail each year and a few singles or pairs but years ago out here they were as common as robins during the summer and fall. I think the increase of coyote/coy dog packs have also contributed to their demise although the rabbit population seems to remain stable.

If I recall, and it  has been a couple few years:o since I was a kid... used to hunt pheasants.  When the state introduced wild turkeys it was found that the turkeys carried some type of disease that just about wiped out the pheasant population.  That would have been in upstate NY and about 50 years ago...

Cal

1 hour ago, clhyer said:

If I recall, and it  has been a couple few years:o since I was a kid... used to hunt pheasants.  When the state introduced wild turkeys it was found that the turkeys carried some type of disease that just about wiped out the pheasant population.  That would have been in upstate NY and about 50 years ago...

Cal

We never had pheasants in our area. I never even heard stories of them being in the southern part of the state. Plenty of turkey and grouse, but no pheasants or quail. Farming was not a big activity in my area. It was oil and timber. Corn fields were not huge or very common, and grain wasn't grown. So, the habitat may not have been there for these birds.

Hmmm, so you were the ones stealing all of our turkeys! LOL! :D

7 hours ago, clhyer said:

Cal

Interesting! Turkeys were re-introduced to southern Ontario in the mid 70's. Before that, we had all kinds of pheasants, but now..... Haven't even seen one in years.

John

20 hours ago, HARO50 said:

Interesting! Turkeys were re-introduced to southern Ontario in the mid 70's. Before that, we had all kinds of pheasants, but now..... Haven't even seen one in years.

John

Just curious, turkeys and pheasants don't mix?

There's a few turkeys around here. Occasionally see 4 or 5 along the road. But, we are over run with quail. Down south, around the Phoenix area, they are Gambol's. Up here, IDK what they are. About as big as a pigeon and nearly the same color. Tiny top knot. We have a couple bird books and, we can't find them in either one.