Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

John Morris

Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! October 30th, 2017

Rate this topic

I trust everyone is well on this Halloween Eve.  Saturday was spent trying to stay warm at the Notre Dame - N. C. State football game and Sunday I delivered the cradle to its new owner.  I'm please to announce that they were thrilled with it.  This is a new new week and I'll be tying up a few loose ends before a big holiday show on Veteran's Day.  Later this week I'll be starting an oak quilt rack for a customer.  Saturday is another road trip to Sout Bend to see Notre Dame take on Wake Forest.  Busy week ahead.

Finished some maple bowls on the lathe this weekend, getting to know my new bowl gouges from Glenn Lucas. Mostly turning Christmas ornaments, tops, and smaller items this time of year. This will be a big week for our wood turning club. Cindy Drozda is visiting this weekend, as president, I'm also the taxi/shuttle/emergency suppy service for her so it'll be a busy weekend for me. Still, I'm excited to meet her and spend a hands on day with her and 7 others on Sunday.

http://cindydrozda.com/

Steve

made coffee...

left the coffee pot on the other side of the kitchen...

cleaned that up...

made coffee..

actually it was a pot of hot water..

made muffins... banana, date, 3 nut, cinnamon, bran, honey muffins...

I'm going to enter them for a new entry to the periodic table..

or use them to plat fetch... let's see the dogs destroy them...

still waiting on the newest pot of coffee...

somebuddy moved the coffee table... toes hate that when it's not in it's usual place...

off the to the showers....

no water... just forced air and a tad of spitting...

real aggressive T&L outside... 

but no snow...

it must be Monday...

I'm going back to bed...

still no coffee...

Got to the shop enough Saturday to get two pen and pencil sets done.  Opened a new bottle of CA and found a huge difference from the old bottle.  It does have a shelf life.  Wanted to do the same Sunday but alas the power went out.  I did manage to get some of the work bench clutter put away.  That won't last long I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Finished some maple bowls on the lathe this weekend, getting to know my new bowl gouges from Glenn Lucas. Mostly turning Christmas ornaments, tops, and smaller items this time of year. This will be a big week for our wood turning club. Cindy Drozda is visiting this weekend, as president, I'm also the taxi/shuttle/emergency suppy service for her so it'll be a busy weekend for me. Still, I'm excited to meet her and spend a hands on day with her and 7 others on Sunday.

Steve

Steve I think to say the least you will find it interesting

Been working on cleaning up the shop for a woodworker event to build bookcases on Saturday. Still getting my mobile tool chest set up. Maybe I can do some pics of the tool covers I made from PVC later. Also doing tops for the Harvest Fest at Ag Museum and maybe some small bowls and hollow forms. Trying to set up so some club members can go out of state to p/u some oak burl a lady has to get rid of.

Glue ups, plane rehab, work through some Inkscape tutorials, more glue ups, wife has minor eye surgery tomorrow so, she'll need a driver. It's not til 3:00 and it's 50 miles away. That means a meal out. The rest of the week is TBD. Whatever, it'll be fun.

just got up...

toes still hurt...

dogs are ignoring the muffins...

still no snow..

still no water...

still Monday...

Still need to mow; cold/rainy/miserable all weekend and today's bonus was some sleet. Need to dig some carrots, and a lot of other outdoor winterization stuff.

Big day is Wednesday...haircut (next to last this year) in the Emerald City then meet my kid brother for his birthday lunch; He turned 61 on the 10th but was working out of state. Man he's gotten old.

Might chase some fleas and stop off at the newly remodeling H4H Restore after lunch???

2 hours ago, Stick486 said:

still waiting on the newest pot of coffee..

Seriously?   You have told someone yet that a new pot of coffee is like rounding up horses?  :P

Normal Monday.....replaced the thermostat on the van....along with 2 gallons of antifreeze.   Van now has heat!   Antifreeze cost more than the parts. 

Re-arranged the drill tils...( more on that, later)   resize some clear 3/4" poplar for a box project.    Was all set up to do dovetails....Migraine hit.   

Have also discovered George Killian's Irish Red goes very well with the Boss' homemade chilli....

Week vacation from the shop is about over....might have to get busy...tomorrow...

BTW:  Coffee ain't coffee unless it is at least...40 Proof....

Edited by steven newman

51 minutes ago, p_toad said:

Seriously?   You have told someone yet that a new pot of coffee is like rounding up horses?  :P

no...

they'll either drink it or won't give it up...

13 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Still, I'm excited to meet her and spend a hands on day with her and 7 others on Sunday.

Steve

Steve, have fun but you better be careful with hands on!:o

6 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

I ain't touchin' this one!! :)

Steve

Yeah I wouldn't either. Just wait you will see.

Spent Monday at my mom's. She is not in good health, and she is getting worse. Cancer sucks! It is only a matter of time.

Today, my wife and I spent a couple of hours cleaning out the shop (actually a one car garage). I have decided to forego building any more cabinets unless I just have to. So today, we arranged the tools so I could use my joiner and planer and still have access to the router table and CNC machine. It's sorta like a puzzle. All the parts fit, even if you jumble them up.

While at it, I purged my wood pile. Lots of scrap stuff, mostly plywood cutoffs of different thicknesses. I still plan to retro fit a vanity in our guest bathroom with a pair of drawers so I kept the Baltic Birch pieces needed to build them, and some 1/4 inch stuff for the bottoms.

With cabinet projects out of the way, I can focus on projects for the CNC. I have numerous signs and trivets to carve. I have several already cut. Christmas presents are going to be made out of wood this year! Or families like the Astros, Texans, Aggies and a few other sports teams. My step-daughter volunteers at a wildlife rescue organization near Tulsa called Wild Heart Ranch. I am planning to carve a hot pad (trivet) for her. Eight inches in diameter. I think she will like it.

Preview01.jpg

Preview02.jpg

58 minutes ago, MT Stringer said:

Spent Monday at my mom's. She is not in good health, and she is getting worse. Cancer sucks! It is only a matter of time.

Prayers of comfort and peace to you Mike...I certainly empathize with you. Started down that path a year-ago this Nov. 14th and ended the journey on February 27th this year...will be the first Thanksgiving and Christmas in 65 years without her here.