Finally, the Cradle is Finished

Ron Dudelston

On 10/21/2017 at 9:00 PM, clhyer said:

On 10/21/2017 at 9:00 PM, clhyer said:

Spectacular Ron!

How do you burn candlewax into the pins?

Cal

I rubbed the pivot pins down with clear wax and heated the wax with a grill lighter.  While the wax was still melted, I wiped it off.  Did this three times and the pins were very slick.  

On 10/24/2017 at 3:16 PM, Michael Thuman said:

Can you please share your awesome finish schedule to bring out the beatuy and get a consistent color.

Michael, I wanted to spray this with General Finish's Endurovar but the customer insisted on polyurethane.  Throughout the build, I would sand.  For example, the panels were sanded to 360 before assembly because I knew the coves would be impossible to sand in place.  After assembly, I hand sanded to 360 grit the whole cradle and wiped it down with mineral spirits to (1.) remove the dust and (2.) raised the grain.  I allowed it to dry overnight and I lightly sanded it again with 360 grit paper.  After I wiped it down with a tack rag, I applied my first coat of wipe on poly.  The customer wanted a semi-gloss finish and I always make my own wipe on so I mixed a quart of wipe on polyurethane.  Note of caution here:  Satin and semi-gloss need to be stirred really well before you mix it.  Poly is naturally glossy and the dulling agent drops to the bottom of the can so mix it well. I cut it 50/50 (mineral spirits and poly) and applied the first coat.  I used a method that I learned here on the Patriot Woodworker many years ago.  I always apply wipe on with a piece of clean (preferably new) pantyhose.  When my wife goes out rummage sale shopping she can usually find new packs of hose. The nylon won't let you soak up too much so you won't get runs or over coat it.  Apply in straight runs and just slightly over lap each run.  I let the first coat dry overnight and then lightly wiped it with 360 after it was dry to knock off the dust nibs.  Wipe it down with a clean rag and re-apply.  This cradle has 6 coats and it took me about 3 days to finish it.  After the last coat, I wiped it with 0000 steel wool and applied a light coat of Pledge.  If a piece, like a table, is flat I'll wax it with paste wax.  That is how I finished this one.

4 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

Michael, I wanted to spray this with General Finish's Endurovar but the customer insisted on polyurethane.  Throughout the build, I would sand.  For example, the panels were sanded to 360 before assembly because I knew the coves would be impossible to sand in place.  After assembly, I hand sanded to 360 grit the whole cradle and wiped it down with mineral spirits to (1.) remove the dust and (2.) raised the grain.  I allowed it to dry overnight and I lightly sanded it again with 360 grit paper.  After I wiped it down with a tack rag, I applied my first coat of wipe on poly.  The customer wanted a semi-gloss finish and I always make my own wipe on so I mixed a quart of wipe on polyurethane.  Note of caution here:  Satin and semi-gloss need to be stirred really well before you mix it.  Poly is naturally glossy and the dulling agent drops to the bottom of the can so mix it well. I cut it 50/50 (mineral spirits and poly) and applied the first coat.  I used a method that I learned here on the Patriot Woodworker many years ago.  I always apply wipe on with a piece of clean (preferably new) pantyhose.  When my wife goes out rummage sale shopping she can usually find new packs of hose. The nylon won't let you soak up too much so you won't get runs or over coat it.  Apply in straight runs and just slightly over lap each run.  I let the first coat dry overnight and then lightly wiped it with 360 after it was dry to knock off the dust nibs.  Wipe it down with a clean rag and re-apply.  This cradle has 6 coats and it took me about 3 days to finish it.  After the last coat, I wiped it with 0000 steel wool and applied a light coat of Pledge.  If a piece, like a table, is flat I'll wax it with paste wax.  That is how I finished this one.

Thanks for the detials the last thing you did  with pledge will put silacone into the finish and if you ever need to refinsih please see other threads on silacone contamation.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:40 PM, Michael Thuman said:

Thanks for the detials the last thing you did  with pledge will put silacone into the finish and if you ever need to refinsih please see other threads on silacone contamation.

No arguments on silicone contamination, Michael.  However, after 6 coats of poly I doubt that this will ever get re-finished.  Besides, I'm sure it will be waxed by the new owner.