Little Giant

steven newman

I have some small ones and one that does take something like a razor blade but can't find it.

These were laying around in plain sight. Anymore thats the only thing I can find.  I didn't have any coins to show how small they are but you can figure it out. I got these two Ice Shaver planers the last time I went to Canton Tx. Never seen any till I found these two. IMG_9451.JPG.3ad699fba148d0259ccfe2ea018e4b1f.JPG

I use to be into these long ago but it got to where all I could find was the ones that had been sanded on and the rust removed and really didn't care for any of those. 

The ice scrapers are a tradition at our family picnics and yours are exactly like the ones my dad and uncles had..  Shaved ice and homemade flavors were a staple while growing up.  Dad made sure we had them all Summer long too.  Good eating and great memories.

New ones can still be purchased but are now made with stamped steel rather than the one you have which are cast.  I just this Summer was searching them on the internet for the fun of it after our local family picnic.  I believe they are big in Mexico and they were and still are made there.

59dfb31492e62__58.JPG.ad2484ea65db5eac476759952311bea2.JPG

s-l1600.jpg.675459d74039ed270c0c0cb11ecbce57.jpg

Above is the new version and below are some I have run across from Mount Joy Pennsylvania.

s-l500.jpg.640e9d1a58df605fcc58d3c946a1de74.jpg

Edited by HandyDan

11 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

I have some small ones and one that does take something like a razor blade but can't find it.

These were laying around in plain sight. Anymore thats the only thing I can find.  I didn't have any coins to show how small they are but you can figure it out. I got these two Ice Shaver planers the last time I went to Canton

Patch, The little plane closest to the bottom appears to be a Stanley 101 or possibly a Millers-Falls 33? While technically called a block plane, mostly used by pattern and model makers. Yours looks to be in very nice shape. I'll have to find a picture of mine, but not nearly as nice...More recent versions pictured below...I don't have hundred dollar bills or coins for that matter to put in the picture.:lol:

One on the left I bought a few years back at a yard sale for 25 or 50 cents???; circa early 1960's

One on right bought at Big Lots 15 or more years ago for a $1

59e0403e41bf1_StanleyTrimPlanes-2.thumb.jpg.5d9cb2f8268b5db85d5f0c9c7a049f22.jpg

42 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Tried that little plane to remove a patch of hair on the forearn, so a bandaid  would stick better.....yep, no hair there, now.    Not quite ready to try it out on the beard, though...:o:rolleyes::huh:

I remember seeing those Little Giant finger (no pun) planes advertised in magazines at on counters at Hardware stores a long time ago. Cool find and worth the save.

Can you even buy double edge razor blades anymore? Thousands of them buried in wall cavities behind medicine cabinets that had those little slots in the back for disposal.:P

Yes, the double edge blades are readily available (on the web - especially on the web if your local stores don't stock them any more).   I have my first razor (and only one) which uses those blades and it'll take shavings just like those if you're not careful (but thankfully, a stiptic pencil can fill in the gaps). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2017 at 7:17 AM, clhyer said:

I bought a new version of this a few years ago at the Woodworking Show.  It takes a razor blade.  I have used it a few times, but never to the finesse that the guy at the show did!

Cal

Yes, I've seen the same guy and came to the same conclusion, without having to actually buy one.