Do we really need all these cordless tools?

I would not have thought about a cordless circular saw but I got one in a kit with my cordless drill.  I carry it with me when I buy moulding.  The lumber yard I buy trim at only sells it in 16' lengths which is too long for me to carry home.  Usually there is someone to help load it and they will cut it to a shorter length for me.  A few times they were quite busy so I just selected my pieces, cut them to length with my cordless.  Not an everyday occurance but quite handy when needed.  

When I first got it I thought it might work to break down plywood sheets, but it doesn't have enough battery to do those cuts.  Both of my batteries are close to needing replacement.

Cal

I got one.   I wanted to do something  and my heavy  89-thousand pound Skill worm drive just felt too heavy.  So I ordered the milwaukee saw with an  extra battery and a charger.  That little sucker is fabulous.  It's unstoppable. I take it all sorts of places where otherwise I'd be running scads of power cord.

Have both battery powered and me powered tools.   Have a corded Recip. saw, and a cordless one.   Have a Megamouse sander, and a corded sander...Have a few cordless drills, not all of which need a battery, or cord.   Have two vintage, all metal circular saws, a cordless saw, and about 25 non-battery Cordless saws... Planer?  all of mine are cord and battery free...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I may have seen it all.   Running through Costco this evening and swung by the tool aisle (now mostly LED lights).   There was a "power-supply"   This did not appear to be a generator, but a battery-powered device that put out 120V AC power.   About the size of a breadbox.   Now wait for it.  $999.99 !   Geez

• 1 month later...

Well, I didn't see it all.   Was at the repair shop (also a big seller of Makita in town) and they had a cordless Makita K-cup coffee maker.  The lady at the counter said they were very popular.  I guess my thermos is out of date.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-DCM500Z-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Coffee/dp/B010FZDG82

47 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Well, I didn't see it all.   Was at the repair shop (also a big seller of Makita in town) and they had a cordless Makita K-cup coffee maker.  The lady at the counter said they were very popular.  I guess my thermos is out of date.

Now that's over the top.  Do you sit on your tool box while you drink it or take your table and chairs with you too?

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

I can see the need/advantages of that...

On 12/14/2017 at 7:41 PM, schnewj said:

Wow, you've got one of the newer ones with the handle on it...

Well, that's the only photo I could find.  Mine does not have a handle, but I added one with some pipe clamps.   Mine is now a backup, as we use my wife's in the kitchen and car.  Mine is for the RV.

OK, now GPS on power tools :   "PT Phone Home"  https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/technology/bosch-gps-tracking-power-tools-coming/34918/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gps_tool_tracking_plus_the_latest_news_and_reviews_for_pros&utm_term=2017-12-26

I suppose if you are a general contractor and your tools tend to "go walking"   (or maybe just a really messy shop?)

Might be great for contractors and the expensive stuff like that Brute hammer...but it sounds to me like something else that can break. My stuff gets lost, but it's almost always in the same room. The Festool guys might like it (a lot).

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr