Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

This afternoon's project - miter saw stand

Rate this topic

nicely done Keith...

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Nice and I really like the price.  Doors for the front?

Hmmm.   Didn't think about doors.  Plan was to cut out for

• weight reduction
  • storage
  • because it looks cool
  • access to inside

11 hours ago, kmealy said:

Hmmm.   Didn't think about doors.  Plan was to cut out for

• weight reduction
  • storage
  • because it looks cool
  • access to inside

I have that small shop mentality.  That would be full of shelves and doors on the front.  Storage is a premium.

2 hours ago, HandyDan said:

I have that small shop mentality.  That would be full of shelves and doors on the front.  Storage is a premium.

This is in an area sort of out of the mainstream work area -- rough stock breakdown and occasional cut to length.    I'll probably just put a scrap bin under there for short cutoffs.   Though it might be used for jigs & other infrequently-used tools

Great save & re-purpose Keith. Bench looks great!

On 10/11/2017 at 11:35 AM, kmealy said:

This is in an area sort of out of the mainstream work area -- rough stock breakdown and occasional cut to length.    I'll probably just put a scrap bin under there for short cutoffs.   Though it might be used for jigs & other infrequently-used tools

I be a SYP fan. Reason , I surrounded by thousands of acres of  it, pulpwooders been hauling it to pulp mills since I wuz a kid, they cut it short then, now they haul logs.

36 minutes ago, olbuck said:

I be a SYP fan. Reason , I surrounded by thousands of acres of  it, pulpwooders been hauling it to pulp mills since I wuz a kid, they cut it short then, now they haul logs.

There are SYP farms down your way from what I've read.  When I look at the stack of treated 4X4s in the box stores they are all the center of a tree looking at the growth rings.  They must not let them grow very big before harvesting them.

They cut off the good part and leave the center for landscape. Been tree farms all round my home since I was in elementary ,and that was a loong time ago

One of the weirdest tree farms I ever saw was in MI. Acres upon acres of row after row of lodge pole pines. All about the same height and circumference.  

Just imagine thousands and thousands of these, evenly spaced with no underbrush. Weird, I tell ya.

pines.jpg

Edited by Gene Howe (see edit history)

Gene that is the way all tree farms work. They cull and allow to grow to pulp wood and cull again , then allow to grow to logging size for the last cut. Outside tree farms they use selective cut so it is no longer clear cut. This allows repeated harvests every 10-15 years and continued income.

About ten years ago, I was privileged to be allowed to ride along with the owner of a walnut tree farm in western Kansas. 500 acres of 20 year old walnut trees. Now, that was a beautiful sight. He said he'd never see them to maturity. They are his grand kids' inheritance. He wouldn't adopt me, darn it.:wacko:

Edited by Gene Howe (see edit history)