Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
clhyer

Work gloves recommendation

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, p_toad said:

I don't trust this chart either. There is no way, at 10-11" circumference I can fit my hand into an X-large. If I do get it in, it's like my hand is being squeezed in a vise.

well, you could always check something like http://www.wellslamontindustrial.com/

and see if they have something you can use.   hard to tell in most cases without

just trying them on.  :(

At the last club meeting, one of the members presented some pros and cons of using gloves in the workshop.  It was not a clear decision.

While it can prevent scrapes and cuts, and for one member who takes blood thinners, lots of bruises, there are some drawbacks.

The presenter showed some of his tests that the saw blade would catch the gloves and pull it in.   He actually stalled his TS on one test because the glove got stuck in the insert and blade.

You do loose some sensation.  In fact the first meeting I attended 30 some years ago, was a Dr. who talked about what to do when you sever a finger on a saw (I kept going to the meetings, though) and said that you lose the "wind sensation."   Of course, that does not help with a sudden kickback or slip.

Another member was wearing gloves while working on melamine particle board and triggered his SawStop.  He felt the injury was a bit more than if he had not been wearing gloves.

I've also hear of people who wear bicylists's gloves to eliminate the vibration and tingling when doing power sanding.

Personally, I wear gloves rarely and usually only when moving rough stock or sheet goods.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, TxMoose said:

Can't remember the brand of work gloves I bought off hand but were $50. I did look at the Ironclad and wish I had bought them instead and were $10 less... The ones I bought once you get warm they stick like tape and can't get them off

4 hours ago, schnewj said:

I don't trust this chart either. There is no way, at 10-11" circumference I can fit my hand into an X-large. If I do get it in, it's like my hand is being squeezed in a vise.

Only use'm on/with lathe, w/ fingers cut off bout half way their length.

Great suggestions fellas.  I reckon that I must be in the minority, but I wear them almost all the time if I am handling wood. Just always have.

What's odd, is that it is not always the left glove that gives out first (I am right handed).  When one glove gets wore out I keep the good one and use them for outdoor use.  I have a couple pair of those mismatched gloves that I use mowing the lawn or working on cars and such. 

Cal

On 10/10/2017 at 8:35 AM, Stick486 said:

3rd. try. I want to send you FREE OF CHARGE, COUPLE OF MY BOOKS. I'm 78yrs. old/young and have a little trouble getting started. Not a dirty word in my books. Hope they'l bring some sunshine into your life. MUST WARN YOU I spell a lot of words the way us OLD REDNECKS SAY'M. Heaws mind -- nallbuck71@gmail.com  looking for ya, Buck.

45 minutes ago, clhyer said:

@Stick486 - I think he is talking to you...

I sent him a PM...

9 hours ago, olbuck said:

3rd. try.

PM sent...

2 hours ago, clhyer said:

@Stick486 - I think he is talking to you...

Stick's a bit hard of hearing. Or would that be hard of seeing? :D

John

On 10/11/2017 at 12:47 AM, Grandpadave52 said:

Maybe I should invest in some of those mitten strings and clips we've used with the grandkids.:lol:

Idiot strings!

John

Just now, Gene Howe said:

They make smart ones???

Don't know. Growing up, that's all I ever heard them called. They were usually found on hand-knitted mitts.

John

9 hours ago, HARO50 said:

Idiot strings!

John

Yep, that's them...even more appropriate for me to look into them again...

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Yep, that's them...even more appropriate for me to look into them again...

use elastic...

then you can amuse yourself when you get bored or just want to be entertained...

i found Mechanix high abrasion gloves that last me all  summer of yard work and built a retaining wall, loading ,unloading 300  retaining wall  blocks  and building the wall they still were not warn out.   They are not  on the Mechanix website any longer but found them on Amazon 

On 10/12/2017 at 10:24 AM, HARO50 said:

Don't know. Growing up, that's all I ever heard them called. They were usually found on hand-knitted mitts.

John

My mother must not have loved me enough when I was little. She never made me wear the "Idiot Strings"! On the other side of the coin, I knew if I lost my mittens I was going to have some very cold hands. :lol: