6" Open Stand Jointers Dust Collection

I'd think the Jet design would partially plug pretty quick further restricting flow. 

Jet's discharge appears to be a 4" diameter??? Is your design a 4" or 6" outlet? Hard for me to judge.

I need to fabricate something for my 80's model Craftsman open stand instead of just using a "chip" bin underneath. Of course I need to invest in a DC first, and Oh, somewhere to place it.:P

4 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Did your mod make a big difference in how well it works (I'm guessing it did)?

To be honest with you Fred, I didn't use the jointer much, thats why I no longer own it, but I believe that the hood did make a difference. I don't see how it couldn't of.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:16 PM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Dust collection ports are only an afterthought on most tools these days. Too bad, since it's fairly important (at least to me).

It is fairly important to me also. I'm up here in North Dakota where it gets brutally cold. After a couple of winters working in a enclosed shop with no dust collection and or air filtration, thats when I said enough. Not only for health reasons, but safety reasons also. I have a forced air wood stove in the shop and the dust would get so thick in the air that I was very worried that I might blow the place up. The added bonuses are less time wearing a dust mask, and less time cleaning up at the end of the day, which is also important to me because the main shop is in the garage where we still park our vehicles at the end of the day. I also have a small projects shop in the basement where I need to keep the dust from circulating in our home.

Edited by CharlieL

20 hours ago, HandyDan said:

My Delta has similar dust collection chute.  Has never been a problem. 

Dan, what your Delta came with may work good enough for you, but if it is a JT360, the dust collection setup that it came with is not as efficient as it could be based on basic dust collection guidelines, which is no tight radius turns in airflow. It's easy to see that the stock setup in the models that described in my first post is much worse then a tight radius elbow. From the looks of it, someone at RIDGID knows the dust collection rules also. 

RigidJointer.jpg

Edited by CharlieL

delta-6-deluxe-jointer-37-190-with-stand.jpg.d0768c7092cce7b6b9fd61f638247b03.jpgI have operated my jointer with and without the dust collection port for many years.  It is adjusted to cut fine shavings from the wood creating very little dust.  When running a lot of wood through the machine the dust collector can fill up in no time.  I often opt to remove the port and let the shavings drop to the floor and manually sweep them up.  The shavings slide down the chute without backing up so any suction added to that process would be a benefit.   I set up the dust collector hose to act as an air cleaner sucking away the small amount of air born dust that comes off it.

Edited by HandyDan

( Dan writes : I often opt to remove the port and let the shavings drop to the floor and manually sweep them up. ) Why remove the port if it works so good ?  I noticed that it looks like you have some kind of hose adapter inside the dust port, as if your using a shop vac rather then a dust collector.

Edited by CharlieL

34 minutes ago, CharlieL said:

Dan writes : I often opt to remove the port and let the shavings drop to the floor and manually sweep them up. ) Why remove the port if it works so good ?

Your answer is the first part you decided to selectively remove from what you quoted from me.

I wrote: When running a lot of wood through the machine the dust collector can fill up in no time.  I often opt to remove the port and let the shavings drop to the floor and manually sweep them up.

The machine pictured is from the internet and not my actual machine but is the same model.

12 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

I don't see any criticism here Charlie. Just one man telling how he handles dust collection, or not, in his shop.I think your input is appreciated here

That is right because everyone does it different . Does not mean anyone is wrong or that having a different method is criticism of another

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2017 at 9:20 PM, It Was Al B said:

I don't see any criticism here Charlie. Just one man telling how he handles dust collection, or not, in his shop.I think your input is appreciated here

( Handy Dan wrote :  My Delta has similar dust collection chute.  Has never been a problem. )                                                                                                                      To me that is insinuating that the stock position of the port works just fine. ) 

Edited by CharlieL