Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Once in awhile, I will stop at goodwill and check the wood pieces for quality wood that I can use to make turnings with. This morning I found this candle holder made of a beautiful dark wood, made in India. It was more than a foot high and about 6" dia at the base. It was made a lot different than I thought. The base had threads turned  on it. Lot of bother and unnecessary work. There was 4 spindles between the base and top. I am puzzled on how they were attached. I cut one with the hack saw, it was so tight I was afraid that it had metal inside. It was all wood and I could not find evidence of where a hole was drilled, same with the spindles, no evidence that the ends were turned to fit in a hole. 

fullsizeoutput_5cc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5cb.jpeg

Interesting. What will you make from the leftovers?

There you go again, Ron, thinking outside the box! I would have never, in a million years, thought of looking to Goodwill as a source of turning wood! They have a store near here- I'll be checking it out regularly!!

I have talked to Habitat For Humanity and Goodwill and they both told me if something is broken when it is brought in it goes straight to the dumpster. I asked would they throw the wooden things off to the side somewhere so guys like me could takes that stuff home. They both said the same thing,  you don't realize we fill these large dumpsters full every three or four days... And that would make for more disorder around here. You just need to come more often and look in the dumpsters.

Just about all the building contractors and that type of construction stuff mostly all goes to Habitat in our area.  Goodwill here is mostly clothes but there are like 10 Goodwill's  around Abilene and one Habitat.

The dumpsters are somewhere around 8'x14'.

Hmmm...never thought about Goodwill. I have been in the Habitat stores on several occasions. Bought a solid core door for under ten dollars (tax included)! Made one heck of a work bench top that got used and abused for several years. Now my bro-in-law has it and using it to. Loves it.

2013-09-19 12.51.46.jpg

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

Edited by MT Stringer
added pictures (see edit history)

Started turning this wood down and it has some soft spots and some very hard. It had spots in it that looked like candle wax had penetrated the wood. It chipped out some too. It has been interesting. It came from India, kinda reminds me of Olive wood.

fullsizeoutput_5cd.jpeg