New project 25" tall

Smallpatch

My scroll saw has a clearance of 20" and this pattern is 25" long. Wasn't easy and no I didn't use a spiral blade.IMG_9406.JPG.624daccf67e45e96610c5d1be837b0a7.JPGIMG_9406.JPG.624daccf67e45e96610c5d1be837b0a7.JPG

Now I got to make the one on the right look like the one on the left.. This might take a few days, weeks or maybe months.

Oh by the way, wife does not have any real bad stuff , which we thought she might have, but the MRI showed  2 busted disk, the third and the forth, what ever that means!!

So I went back to work in the shop for a few days. The next appointment for her is the 25th. Maybe operation or a few guided shots with the camera. Amazing what they have learned.

Oh, I have already changed some of the stuff from the picture. It looks like there were two pieces missing so I just guessed..That's good about carving pieces for no one can say that ain't right?

Hey we even celebrated the better news we got from the doctor by stopping at Dairy Queen on the way home!

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

The disk are at the other end Gene, real close to her tail bone. The injury happened about 2 years ago but has progressed where she is almost at the screaming stage. I told her long ago lets go and get something done about it.  No no no.Okay when you get to where you can't stand it anymore you got to see a doctor. Thank goodness she finally gave in.

Her sister died two years ago of cancer in her spine and my wife was almost sure she probably had the same thing.

Cal we went to a large office supply and got what looked like this thin clear plastic would be ideal over the pattern.  Wrong...... But after removing it and pushing the jig saw over the glued down paper pattern I could cut enough out with a band saw  and the jig saw to where the scroll saw finished so it all has smooth edges that will be exposed. I didn't use the plastic shoe that comes with this jig saw but the base is a slick feeling aluminum which left the paper pattern almost in perfect shape...

A spiral scroll saw blade was suggested but I sure don't like the finish those blades leave which would leave way too much sanding  to get the wood back to a smooth edge.

Wow, I chose this old antique wall clock for it looked like there were way more challenges than anything I have done so far and yes, way more complicated than I could see at first.... These little carbide bits I use in the Dremel will be working overtime for a long while on this clock...

Almost ready to start carving but first I have to free hand the lines of the carving onto the wood then a lot of guessing comes in to play.IMG_9411.JPG.cee4c0c75bbafbc85f52af839624e187.JPG 

The gouged out areas were where I removed the small flat headed nails to secure the clear plastic for the jig saw to glide over, but that didn't work so I ripped the plastic off...

I seem to be learning more now than when I was in my prime wanting to learn everything.

Glad it was the discs, then. Not cancer. Bet you both were really relived. 

Us old guys...and gals... learn faster/easier than the young'uns cuz, first of all, we've made the mistakes and can avoid them now and, we don't get as upset as we used to when something doesn't work as we expected. Plus, we probably have more patience too, cuz our minds are not going in ten different directions like when we were young.

But then, there's the remembering what we've leaned part.:unsure:

Edited by Gene Howe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Smallpatch, can you please review your tag above, and then see this topic at

This tutorial will explain what tagging your content is, and the best practices for doing so. I am so grateful you have decided to tag your content, there is a proper method however and it will be explained at the topic I linked you too. In nutshell, we typically only use single word tags. So this topic the best practice would be "scrolling" "spiral blade" "clock". These are only suggestions, but you want single words or compound words that reflect your topics content. This way, in the future folks only need to click on the tag "clock" and all of Jess's clocks will appear in their search. The way you are tagging your content now, has zero affect and is not useful.

For example, go ahead and click on your tag you created for this topic, see where your browser takes you. It takes you right back to this one and only topic. That is because there is no other tag in our system like the one you have created in this topic.

Now if you would have tagged all your clock topics with the single word "clock", then when you click on the tag "clock" then all your clock topics would have returned in the search in one handy place. Same with if you added a useful tag for the species of lumber you used to build the clock, say for example if you tagged your topic with "maple". Then in the future when you or anybody clicks on the tag "maple" they will return a search of all topics that used Maple in their projects. See how useful that is?

Thanks a million Jess!