Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I have a NIB, never opened, Freud Avanti 10", 80 t 5/8" arbor I'd like to get outta my shop. Bought it several years ago, before Tenryu came into my life.

If ya want it, pm me. First come, first served.

Edit...It's spoken for.

Edited by Gene Howe (see edit history)

Tell me more about Tenryu -- just found out about them and they're right here in town.

Tenryus are dynamically balanced. Heavy on the carbide, good carbide. Mine are quiet and cut like a dream. On my Shopsmith, the Tenryu is actually a real "Glue Line" ripping blade. As opposed to those red ones. The 80 t cross cut blade is just superb, leaving a glass smooth surface on both hard and soft woods. The 60 t on my SCMS is just as good, at any angle in any wood.

I haven't used every blade out there, but the Tenryu is far superior to all those I have tried. I'm a fan.

Cal, I'll have to go look and post the #s later. I just pick the category on their website, ie. miter saw, table saw, etc. Then pick the operation...ripping or cross cut, then the tooth count and geometry. 

Most of my blades are full kerf. The thin blades are reserved for cutting less than 3/4" material. No matter the brand, I find thin kerf 10" blades deflect too much cutting thicker stuff. Especially at anything other than a 90* cut. 

I bought a couple of Tenryu's for my track saw, and they are every bit as good as the Festool blades....as good as the Freud blades I have for it in fact.

Fred, I've never, ever gotten an acceptable cut with any Freud blade on any of my saws. 

I know I'm in the minority. But, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Avanti blades are made in china and only marketed by Freud...

Diablo is the economy Freud blade...

then there are the Freud blade for the serious WW and commercial market...

let's do apples to apples here...

FREUD vs DIABLO.pdf

I have not tried the better Freuds, nor a Diablo. I became so disappointed with the Freuds that I did use that buying up just seemed like throwing good money after bad. 

When I used my first Tenryu, I was sold.  Kinda like wives. Tried a couple then found a keeper.

I should have mentioned this in my earlier post...that's was a very nice gesture on your part, Gene...very cool!

31 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

have not tried the better Freuds, nor a Diablo. I became so disappointed with the Freuds

that explains a lot...

yur doing a Yugo to a Mercedes comparison...

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

that explains a lot...

yur doing a Yugo to a Mercedes comparison...

You got that right. Apt analogy. 

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

You got that right. Apt analogy. 

perhaps you should have tried the better level Freuds before making your comparison...

the Avanti blade is bargain basement.. it's not even a real deal Freud... just marketed by them...

TK/Diablo is the GP/economy class..

the LU/LM/Fusion blades - we're getting serious now.. tough blade to beat in performance and value..

the F400's are next level serious have almost no competition from anybody...

also Freud's CS is some of the best out there...

40 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

perhaps you should have tried the better level Freuds before making your comparison...

the Avanti blade is bargain basement.. it's not even a real deal Freud... just marketed by them...

TK/Diablo is the GP/economy class..

the LU/LM/Fusion blades - we're getting serious now.. tough blade to beat in performance and value..

the F400's are next level serious have almost no competition from anybody...

also Freud's CS is some of the best out there...

You are correct. My experience has been with only their consumer grade, with one exception. The LM72M010. I keep it as a back up in case I don't get my good blades sharpened soon enough. That LM blade is adequate. Far better than that Glue Line POS. But still not a Tenryu. 

duh...

went back and looked..

glue line rip for thick materials.. ¾~2½''...

is it clean and sharp...

using it for the correct application???

Edited by Stick486 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, clhyer said:

Never heard of them Gene.  Looking over their catalog they have quite an offering.  Which blades do you have?

Cal

Here ya go, Cal.

Rip blade...RS-25524CBN

Cross cut...PR-30580CBN and PR-30560CBN

Miter saw...MP-25560CB and MP-25580CB

The last two numbers are the # of teeth.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Industrial. 

duh...

went back and looked to your post for the number....

glad it didn't have arms or teeth...

glue line rip for thick materials.. ¾~2½''...

is it clean and sharp...

using it for the correct application???

Yep, on all counts. As I said, it's a decent blade. Just doesn't produce the quality rip that can go directly to glue up like I get with the Tenryu. At least, not on my Shopsmith. 

I rarely cut any soft wood but, the LM does ok in poplar. But not mesquite or white oak.