Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
PostalTom

My latest effort

Rate this topic

I like the idea of the green rim, I haven't found a good way to add opaque color while the lathe is spinning and your way seems to have worked pretty good.

Steve

I have used Crayola paint markers in the past on some ornaments.  Worked okay but did bleed some if not careful when applying finish.  Best to make your edge a burn line.

It is a nice looking bowl.

pTRUCA1-4815321reg.jpg.fc909a5ce45c0eab6353cf2616479591.jpg

Dan

Edited by HandyDan (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

I like the idea of the green rim, I haven't found a good way to add opaque color while the lathe is spinning and your way seems to have worked pretty good

Well, I didn't actually apply the color with the lathe spinning.  I had to apply it while stationary, then turn on the lathe to try to even the color out.  That sorta-kinda worked, but it was tedious.

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

Best to make your edge a burn line.

It is a nice looking bowl.

Thanks.  BTW, what is a burn line?

nice,,,

very nice....

It's really easy to make a burn wire-

image_22209.jpg.407a569ef81faf7dccfd5b6af3b4f8e3.jpg

Using round balls on the ends is a little safer in case the wire would catch. I made mine with a piece of dowel on each end. The wire can be something line 18 or 20 gauge steel wire from the big box store. Better yet, if you have any old guitar or banjo strings, they work perfectly. I usually use the skew chisel to cut a small groove- to capture the wire- then hold the wire against the spinning workpiece. The friction will cause heat and burn a line. 

download.jpg.8317f16c69bd24c1b91f0ef27c85a5ad.jpg

OK, so now I get what a burn line is, and how to do it.  Referring back to @HandyDan's post, how does it help with adding paint?  Does the burn line seal that edge and prevent the paint from bleeding, or is it just a good visual reference to aid in applying the paint?  Or, maybe all of the above?

2 hours ago, PostalTom said:

OK, so now I get what a burn line is, and how to do it.  Referring back to @HandyDan's post, how does it help with adding paint?  Does the burn line seal that edge and prevent the paint from bleeding, or is it just a good visual reference to aid in applying the paint?  Or, maybe all of the above?

All of the above.  Burn lines without paint add nice accents too.

A second thought on color besides the burn line to control bleed. You might try acrylic with lathe very slow. Also on the Clewes platter he does not color all the way to the edge and uses a sharpie to color the edge black.

well done

Nicely done Tom. Looks great!

Thanks everyone for all the kind words.  I thought the bowl was kind of basic, but the encouragement is always welcome.