Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Chicago Electric Right Angle Grinder (CRAP!)

Rate this topic

I'm done with the Chicago Electric crap! First grinder I had for three years light duty, it took a dump 6 months ago, just stopped working. 

Second Chicago grinder I purchased right after, used it twice in the last 5 months. Went to fire it up today to cut back some stucco on our home, no worky. Dead as a door nail. I don't have time to take it back, write an email to CS, or write a letter, if time is money, I'd burn up the worth of that grinder in the first 10 minutes. 

Guess where I just filed it, on the round file.

IMG_20170930_124925092_HDR.jpg

Looks brand new don't it? It's a piece of CRAP!!!!! A bright red shiney new piece of Harbor Freight CRAP!!!!

No more!

IMG_20170930_124945403.jpg

well at least you didn't use it enough to numb your hands or got too hot to handle...

suggest Makita, Bosch or Milwaukee...

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

well at least you didn't use it enough to numb your hands or got too hot to handle...

suggest Makita, Bosch or Milwaukee...

I will, done with it, just done.

Metabos are very good but it it's an area availability thing....

and look to where those other mentioned brands are made... major differences between Europe and china...

Interesting, I've read multiple questions where folks asked about which angle grinder to buy, and a huge number of resources always laud that model as one of the true gems at HF. I've always tried to avoid their stuff is it has an electric wire attached to it. I have a Milwaukee bought quite a few years ago, don't know about the recent offerings. I know we had a sheet metal group at the plant that swore the only ones to buy were Metabo. The foreman told they used those angle grinders sometimes 3-4 hours a day, and they would burn out a Milwaukee in 6 months (this was 15+ years ago). He said they switched to Metabo and have never had one die. At the time, Fastenal carried that brand so it was an easy find.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr (see edit history)

20 hours ago, John Morris said:

'm done with the Chicago Electric

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Had the same problem with Harbor Freight heat guns.

adding up the tangible and intangible costs...

what do you think the real cost of those tools is...

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

what do you think the real cost of those tools is..

Well, if the average life span is two uses per 5 months, I think I am better off spending more for one that leans a little longer in the longevity area per peer reviews.

just some things to factor in...

Tangible cost...

price/cost of equipment...

shipping..

repair parts..

missed deadlines and possible fines for same...

Intangible Costs..

production stoppage/loss/down time...

rework because of poor accuracy...

your time in any operation...

transportation.. (vehicle operating cost times the round trips to the store to get/replace item)

equipment set up/installation..

missed deadlines and possible fines for same...

because of the perceived warranty the user stays locked in this cycle...

if the item has a catastrophic failure.. injuries/damage to you and/or your project..

6 hours ago, Stick486 said:

adding up the tangible and intangible costs...

what do you think the real cost of those tools is...

Depends if you use the 20% or the 25% off coupon...! :o

8 minutes ago, schnewj said:

Depends if you use the 20% or the 25% off coupon...! :o

and if you stock pile the returns to do in large hauls or a trip per replacement..