Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

My sister-in-law has taken on a new hobby - cake decorating. She asked if I could cut out some circles for her cakes. Sure. Yesterday, she brought me a piece of 2x2x15/32 CD plywood. And we are off and running.

That was an easy job to set up. I asked if I could drill a hole in the center for a screw. Yes. I cut out four ten inch cake boards. First, I drilled a hole in the center of each board. Then I ran the file to cut the circles out. Since I was using an upcut spiral bit, I laid the boards face down. That worked well. A little sanding to knock off the edges and it was a done  deal.

Later in the evening, I discovered a piece of the same plywood in my cut off pile.:) So now she has 2 11 inchers, 4 10's and a pair of 8's.

Yeah, I am going to get a cupcake or three out of this job. :D

2017-09-26 12.34.46.jpg

2017-09-27 12.35.27-2.jpg

Edited by MT Stringer (see edit history)

Nothing like being paid for work with cake!

Circles are indeed an easy job for a CNC.  Pretty easy for a bandsaw as long as you don't mind a center hole to set on the circle cutting jig pin.  I've even watch a few youtubers cut circles using a table saw. 

Of course if you are starting out with a large piece of plywood then, well, that's a really good use for that CNC!