Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

olbuck

ME & WOOD WORKING

Rate this topic

s ago

In my lifetime of woodworking, paw built truck bodies when I wuz little. Still remember 1/4'' bolts, nuts & washers, the 'speed handle w/socket to fit those 1/4'' nuts, bolted on sidebody 1X4's. The way the two ''sills' 4X6 were cut out to fit the hump in truck frame over rear axle. Paw cut'm out w/foot azz, so they fit down solid and then bolted down with piece of metal over the sill and one underneath the truck frame, with two long bolts at each, four to /for each truck body. Usually smidgen higher/taller that truck cab. Sometime customer wanted about two foot higher sections, that could be slipped down into original/everyday bodies, to haul livestock or ear corn. 

*****Foot azz is grubbing hoe type thing with a crocked handle, bout 30 something inches long. This is all I know to call/name it. Prolly aint made anymore for sale. Blade bout 4'' wide.

alright if ya made it this far, I love lathe, building Cedar chest, picture frames, etc., etc.

****2007 started writing, named all books Wiregrass, Grits & 1.MURDER, 2.FOGGY HORSESHOE,3.GHOST DANCER,4.SECOND CHANCE--all  about a yankee that came south, stayed raised a family.

Then one little stand alone called WIREGRASS AND GRITS, 5.For boys only.

Not a dirty/off color word in any ov'm.

btw, Amazon has one of these for $50 something.  Cya

Edited by Ron Dudelston
Added tags

@olbuck...Wish I wasn't 13 hours away...

I'd love to just sit on the porch with you sometime enjoying a sweet tea, maybe a plate of fried green tomatoes and just jaw.

You certainly have some interesting stories and experiences to pass along.

Your absolutely correct Ol Buck, the Foot adze. Most adzes with a long handle is called a foot adze. Your paw probably used one along these lines.

You can see more about adze's at our Patriot Woodwiki, soon to open edit by all of you. Go to http://thepatriotwoodwiki.org/Adze

dl55?display

14 hours ago, p_toad said:

You were close...it is called an adze.

@p_toad's picture is a flat adze with hammer head. :)

Sunday PM.  Thanks everyone.  Someone mentioned ship building. Picked  up an old hand powered and shoulder something-er-other to press it down, drill, one that has the drive wheel/cog-prolly 5'' across, w/knob/handle you spend/turn the 5" wheel, it drives the cog that is on top end of the chuck.  SHOULDER PRESSED AGAINST THAT SOMETHING-ER-OTHER ON VERY TOP/END. Chuck being where drill bit is placed. Hey I went thru 6th grade!  WELL THE ONE I GOT,  HAS A ??30 - 45?? DEGREE ANGLE????? SO YOU CAN drill a hole right up next to a wall with it. Told it was useful when wooden ships were built. I don't know, Somebody out there know of better use for it. BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!

Buck,The one you describe might be hard to rest against your chest and drill in tight places, but for a shipwright where there is more room to maneuver and the shape of the bottom, it might work out just right.

My Granddad was a Mill wright. he had a chest of auger bits that were 2' long ,no worm point he had to chop a notch to get them started, and then he turned them with a "T" handle. They were from 1/2"-2" diameter bits.

We had a straight breast drill when I was young and it was before we had an electric drill, and I spent my turn cranking them.

Brings back memories of how hard woodworking used to be.

Herb