Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Come see our annual Adopt a Gold Star Family for Christmas Project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We have been chosen to support this mother and her two children. How can you help? Click on the proceeding link, and see our official project page where you can learn how to participate in our raffle and how you can win some fantastic prizes! Attention on Deck!!! Uncle Sam Wants You!!!!

Rate this topic

I've been to the Marc Adams School several times (never for a class unfortunately).  Marc's school has to be one of the best on the planet.  I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful experience, not only taking home new knowledge, but fantastic memories a s well.  Another impressive piece of equipment is in the break room....   FREE soft-serve ice cream.  Marc has it all!  Have a great week Steve.

11 minutes ago, Jim from Easy Wood Tools said:

FREE soft-serve ice cream

That's all I would need to go!

16 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Marc Adams School of wood working in Franklin IN.

Good for you Steve....Great opportunity it sounds. I'm sure you will take away a lot more than think you will. Looking forward to hearing more of your experiences.

Franklin has become a bustling little bedroom community to Indianapolis...far different from the community I remember from the 50's & 60's before interstate travel when we visited and stayed with family there.

Our daughter is a Franklin College alum too. Beautiful campus. Used to travel there some for business as well.

Home again, home again

What an amazing week I've had. Went down to the motel lobby  for coffee Monday morning and who should  I meet in the hallway but our teacher for the week, Glenn Lucas? Told him I would see him later and he asked was I in his class? Told him I was and he asked could he ride with me to and from Marc Adams school. Seriously?!! Seriously?! Couldn't believe my good fortune, of course you can ride with me. Very, very personable gentleman, got to know him from a one on one perspective, how cool is that? Figure I got about 5 hours extra time with him and he didn't mind talking wood turning while commuting.

The class room is amazing but I was very disheartened at how many were in the class, 17. He confided in me he felt the same way. There were two "assistants", but only one of them was a turner and he kept busy prepping wood and rounding up sandpaper, oil, supplies, etc. etc.

I have to say, Glenn did an amazing job under what I would consider less than ideal circumstances. If you needed guidance you got it. His demonstrations were thorough, lighthearted, and entertaining. He answered each and every question in detail. He shared his knowledge and expertise without reservation. He loves the craft and loves promoting it.

What's amazing about a guy like him is his understanding and knowledge of why the tools cut the way they do, why wood moves the way it does, why the tool rest should be here or there, why this speed, why that speed, why this gouge and not that one, etc. etc. etc. 

If and when I get the chance I will certainly spend time with him again, he is truly a master. Likes a good filet mignon and a margarita too.

What a great week I had...

Steve

All in all, sounds like it was a great week with an added bonus.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment of the class size. Technical, hands on classes are ideal between 8-12...more than twelve and second instructor should be provided; while assistants are helpful if they are not fully capable and trained to teach the class, learning is lost. The 8-12 number allows for good interaction between participants yet is not overwhelming for a qualified instructor.

Regardless, glad you got the opportunity. Hopefully, as your time allows, you can pass some of that "larning" on to us here.:P

Steve - So glad you had a good week.  Marc Adams' school is a very special place of learning.