Cabinet Making!

MT Stringer

7 minutes ago, DuckSoup said:

If they can build what appears to be a quality cabinet why can't they build some work tables and equipment stands & get up off the floor?

Tables take space and jobs in a small spaces may vary. I've seen this before in Bates City. MO. I applied back in the 90's for a cabinet job at   andhttp://www.bosscustomcabinets.com/ , everyone was building on the floor:huh:. I walked out:)

25 minutes ago, Gerald said:

I could not believe the square end lines with just a board and that not butted to the edge. I just scaned it but did not see any glue , just brads and screws

That's the part I focused on:  3 or 4 pins through the tenons.  I betcha it holds as well as glue.  I may have fallen in love again.

no safety gear, no shoes, no dust collection, dull tools (drill bits particularly), no finishing room, printed metal for the backs, lots of nails and screws (where they could be skipped if you used proper joinery and glue and clamps).  guess they do things a bit differently in that shop.

but!

the guy with no shoes did have a cell phone!  amazing.

Edited by DAB

23 minutes ago, DAB said:

no safety gear, no shoes, no dust collection, dull tools (drill bits particularly), no finishing room, printed metal for the backs, lots of nails and screws (where they could be skipped if you used proper joinery and glue and clamps).  guess they do things a bit differently in that shop.

but!

the guy with no shoes did have a cell phone!  amazing.

Shows how spoiled American woodworkers are ...

f536f773c33ede9da852e500f6a0fc67--hard-workers-post-office.jpg

DAB, it wasn't too many years ago that was the way it was done here,(w/o the cell phone),we are seeing 3rd world production here. I remember when getting hurt meant the end of your job and you worked under those conditions, only we had work benches and shoes.

We built houses with out any scaffolding 3-4 stories high , hung by our toenails with no safety ropes or belts to cut the rafter tails and nail on the fascia boards, wedged up the guards on the old skilsaws, If there was a scaffold it was just 2X4 posts and single planks took too much time to build hand rails on anything. Those were the days when little old ladies weren't allowed to be carpenters.

I'm not defending it as good practice, but safety costs money and these companies want to keep things cheap at the workers expense, one reason we are not competitive anymore.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

nonsense.

when i had my shop built 2 years ago, i was down there everyday, multiple times a day.  talked with everyone there (some more than others, as my Spanish is rather nonexistent), and made sure they were doing things safely.  not because i'm some safety weenie, but because I cared about them and wanted them to be able to go home in as good shape as they started the day.  no major injuries, no 911 calls, maybe a few bandaids needed over the course of the entire project.

and if you let someone abuse you by unsafe working conditions, then you're being taken advantage of.  that was the one thing that unions got right.  stop killing the employees and sending them home with fewer digits and limbs than they started with.

i don't recall any Chinese framers applying for the work.  guess they didn't want the job.

2 hours ago, PeteM said:

That's the part I focused on:  3 or 4 pins through the tenons.  I betcha it holds as well as glue.  I may have fallen in love again.

I can tell you from experience that when I see stapled together furniture (upholstery frames) it does not hold up well.