Two days of Rust Hunting

steven newman

1 hour ago, steven newman said:

For some reason,  I just can't turn down a North Bros. Yankee. 

I know the feeling...must be a vitamin deficiency or something;) You probably wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have the screwdriver bit in it.:D

1 hour ago, steven newman said:

Not sure what the eggbeater is....a few drops of 3in1 oil, and it was humming right along.  

IT kinda' looks like a Millers-Falls? Very similar to one I bought last winter...is the maker name on the flywheel crank between the knob and the first screw? Mine was hard to see until I buffed some rust.

Nice haul overall especially on the dividers & inside calipers + the compass.

There IS a Millers Falls style label on the crank wheel....Need to get a better/ closer look at the chuck.  

The "Yankee" is a bit...odd.   No selector was ever on it.   Instead of the North Bros. Yankee stuff....there is a Craftsman Made in USA stamp.   Handle shape is odd as well. 

Unable to free up the screwdriver tip, may have to give it a good soaking....

Yankee was made for Craftsman by Millers Falls.    Seems the fluted handle was a Craftsman option. 

After three days of soaking in PBBlaster.....tip hasn't so much as wiggled....it be stuck in there good!  

Right by the knurled ring that releases the shaft....there is a knurled cylinder/grip.   You rotate it one way to go forward, rotate it back the other way to reverse the tip.  Stop about half way in-between, and it locks the shaft. 

It was nickle plated....mostly gone now, leaving brass behind.  

BTW:  That spring inside works VERY good.....

Edited by steven newman

The hand plane arrived today....

59d6fe7b98b4f_StanleyNo.4.jpg.4887d7ba273c9ca32fc02767f1b0c13c.jpg

With too much "patina" to suit me...

59d6fecf874fe_levercapview.jpg.ac742586368e6621e9eae40f9697eec0.jpg

A Stanley No. 4c, Type 16...

59d6ff32774a0_bottomview.jpg.fea63ac7cf4b4871b2d29705e9ed5808.jpg

Yeah,,,patina.....spent a little over an hour cleaning up this little plane..

59d6ff9e5f45c_partsisparts.jpg.e9ef299a24d45ba9a410ddf1bd4ac518.jpg

Parts is parts.  I left the Rosewood handles alone, for now.   Iron is a replacement, not the original....no biggie

59d70012408f9_Rehabbed1.jpg.bb40a4e48ff783b7c9a7ebdc195ea369.jpg

Iron was sharpened to 2000 grit, for now.    Only had 2 hours sleep, last night...wasn't moving too good.    First test drive showed that SOMEONE didn't tighten the bolts for the frog...:o:rolleyes::ph34r: Had to take it apart, and tighten things down...gave them an extra "tweak" just in case....:rolleyes:

Next test drive..

shavings.jpg.647fbeb9aa346d37e918918d034a1933.jpg

Poplar scrap.   Was a bit better than Hard Maple.   Will need to finish the sharpening ...sometime. 

Not too bad a plane...for $12.87 ( counting sales tax)?

Sweet plane especially since it's a corrugated version. A Great buy IMHO at $12+. When I find them around here, most a $10-$15 and have way more patina (rust than yours did). In fact, I figure by the time the rust would be removed there wouldn't be much left.

Guess you need to start construction of plane tote II:D