DeWalt 733 planer died today

I took the time to take the motor off after I figured out that I didn't have to disassemble the entire unit (makes sense that it would come off without that...). 

So here's what I have:

1) The two white leads in the photo are open and show no value. 
2) There is no short or value between either lead and the commutator.
3) I went through the brush openings and checked resistance across the commutator segments 180° apart and all read the same.
4) It appears that going much further in this disassembly may require special tools, puller, etc.  I can get the gearbox off but that's not going to do much for me at this point.

David

59c2bba342a12_004-Motorpartiallyapart.JPG.db7cef81ee3ee4d9e3d9308e26559f13.JPG

I'm not really sure what that is but it never got hot, at least that I know about. 

I'm picking up another load of Walnut in the morning and need to mill that so a new DeWalt 735 will be here Monday. HD had an online special for the model with extra set of blades and the infeed/outfeed tables. The normal price for that is about $650 but they have it right now for $570 with free shipping to my door, which is less than the plain model without the extras.

David

On the 733 is appears the two white wires connect to the breaker with a double spade (female) connector?? If you have an old cord laying around, crimp on a couple male spade terminals, hang on to or secure the motor and plug it in. If the motor runs, something ahead of it has failed; if it doesn't the motor has failed; armature or field windings. IDK what a replacement motor costs, but might be worth the investment as a back-up machine??? 

Well, I thought I was through with this topic but when I saw the blades I had to post a photo.  I have not sharpened or replaced blades in the entire 20 years I've had this planer.  This is the first time I've even seen them except to take a glance from the working side on occasion.

Not too bad after 20 years -
59c3c9a855a8d_005-Bladeafter20yearsusage.JPG.cf219518e5ce73cc7b9f23995e3d1432.JPG

David

I love my 735 but doubt you'll get 20 years on the new blades

Those blade bolts beat the heck out of the ones on the 735. After reading about problems with the Allen head bolts, on the earlier 735, I went to Fastenal and bought replacement bolts of a higher grade. Installed them using "anti-seize". They may have upgraded the bolts on more recent models so this may be a moot point.

12 hours ago, difalkner said:

I'm not really sure what that is but it never got hot, at least that I know about. 

I'm picking up another load of Walnut in the morning and need to mill that so a new DeWalt 735 will be here Monday. HD had an online special for the model with extra set of blades and the infeed/outfeed tables. The normal price for that is about $650 but they have it right now for $570 with free shipping to my door, which is less than the plain model without the extras.

David

David, that is a good deal on that new planer.

When you set it up be sure to raise the infeed and outfeed  extension tables on the leading/leaving edges 1/16" to eliminate snipe.

Herb

37 minutes ago, Dadio said:

When you set it up be sure to raise the infeed and outfeed  extension tables on the leading/leaving edges 1/16" to eliminate snipe.

Herb

And/or, a stationary sled works, too. I use a 36" x 12" piece of stock shelving from the BORG. 

3 hours ago, Dadio said:

Herb

Is that the 'trick' to eliminate snipe on this model?  I got it about 50% of the time on the 733 but figured out how to reduce or eliminate it.  This one will be all new so I don't know any tricks.

David

1 hour ago, difalkner said:

Gene, do you have a photo of your sled?  That would be helpful - thanks!

David

I do but, gotta wait till I can get to my desk top to post from there.

Herb, it raises to 5". Rarely do I have the need for that much. Besides, it's only 3/4" lost....but, who's counting? :lol: