I found some Diston hand saws

Warped & Twisted

Rich, they are the older good ones, but boy is it hard to determine value without some in depth research, or a Disston expert. Any old Disston is worth having I feel. But 150 for 3 of them, may be a tad high, or not. I did a quick google on Disston and Atkin for sale, and found some in great condition for 25 bucks, and found some in crappy condition for 150 bucks, go figure. I guess you'd have to be a Disston expert to understand the value, as you know with these tools it could mean the difference between the shape of the wood handle or the style of medallion and how sought after they are.

If I were to live near that fellow, I'd be happy to pay 80 bucks for the three of them. That is what they'd be worth to me to take up wall space in my shop, and I would use them. For me personally, 150 would be high.

Doing a little more research, the D-23 was in production for quite some time, it was a very popular saw, so I am assuming there must be many of them out there. But, I also saw some D-23's in great condition for 100 bucks each. It's confusing.

Whenever I do not know anything about an old tool and if I cannot put a collectors value on it, then I go to my second criteria for purchasing it, I ask myself do I really want it, and can I use it for real. Then it just becomes a matter of how much expendable money I got in my pocket that day, and that is how I determine the value of that old tool.

After all that, I probably didn't help one bit here.:lol:

Boy they sure are nice looking saws for sure especially the clarity of the etches. I kinda' agree with John, $150 seems high, but I AM NOT an expert in any fashion on saw values as collectibles...No doubt regional value varies some too based on the availability or lack there-of for tools like this. His ad does state "OBO" which tells me he just threw out the $150 to see if it would stick. 

Hope fully @steven newman and @John Moody or maybe others can provide some expertise here.

I have to agree with Steve. Looks like 40's-early 50's vintage from the handles and the medallions. The very rusty odd-ball may be late 50's-60's. They look to be well used and the two D-23's look like they were taken care of by the owner(s).

The etches are fairly distinct, not always visible on the saws after 70 years or so. In this shape, I find them in the $10-15 range. As long as they are not kinked too bad, they can be straightened, repointed and sharpened. They would make very good users...but, they aren't that collectable. Certainly nowhere near worth the $50 a piece range.

The D-23's are good saws and can be filed either rip or crosscut. I much prefer the older D-8's as they tend to be a little heavier in the plate and easier to use then the thinner D-23's.

21 minutes ago, Warped & Twisted said:

In my view not to the extent of 150.00 so he still has them. 

As Kenny Rogers used to say..."gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em and know when to walk away."

FWIW, I would have done the same in this case...very few times have I later regretted walking away.