How to fumigate furniture

Frenchtom

Hi guys - not sure that this question belongs in Finishing but here it goes: what procedure do you recommend for fumigating the bugs out of furniture?  I have a large desk that has termite or carpenter and damage on one leg.  The desk is inside a giant plastic bag so that me house does not get infested.  Is there anything you recommend putting inside the bag that would kill all bugs say in a week's or month's time?

Thanks,

Tom

I faced this a few years ago.   A woman had an (Asian, surprise) end table and there was a bunch of frass (AKA bug poop) all over the floor.  I found that there are companies that do this, licensed exterminators, so I passed.  I don't think it was that cheap.

When storing beehives over the winter, I put them in a garbage bag with paradichorlobenzine moth crystals.   It keeps the wax moths at bay.  I don't know if it would kill what's in there or not.

Bombs are almost totally useless. A co-worker (who was, also, a licensed exterminator) explained, as Stick mentioned, that it only gets on the exposed surfaces. The chemicals don't get into the "nooks and crannies" where the bugs are hiding. The bombing may only the first step. You, also, need to bait and leave a residual for the eggs that hatch out a week or two later.

If you have a do-it-yourself Pest Control store in your area, talk to them and get their advise. They are usually very knowledgeable and helpful. Remember, they have seen it all before. They will know the best way to handle the problem.

Edited by schnewj

• 2 months later...

FYI - I made a tent out of plastic wrap, blankets, sleep bags, etc that was all sealed off with the desk inside.  I had an electric heater inside that I ran for an hour and a half and got the inside of the tent up to 150F before the heater burned up and then let it sit for another hour or two as it slowly cooled off.  According to several internet searches, heat is the only way to reach the inside of the wood and is the most effective and least environmentally damaging.  I think several sites said 135 - 140 for an hour.  What I did was slight overkill but it did not damage the desk.

• 2 years later...