pricing a used table saw

A friend has a used, but not too old Craftsman Commercial table saw he wants to get rid of.  

Questions:

1) Is this a decent saw and not one of these with pot-metal bearings and such?

2) if so, what would be a fair price for it.

Looks kind of like this:

spin_prod_238527701??hei=64&wid=64&qlt=5

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

Keith, does his have the granite top versus the cast top? Both of these models were made by Steel City (now defunct) and were pretty good saws although the granite version was fragile from what I've read and seen. Personally, I would not want the granite for fear of cracking or breaking it during a move which seems to be one of the major complaints.  The cast iron top is more desirable IMO and a pretty good saw. A couple of guys in our WW club have them and really like them.

That said, I've seen these on CL anywhere from $300-$1000 depending on condition and accessories. Some current ones...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/tls/d/craftsman-cabinet-table-saw/6299204190.html

similar but not cabinet model

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tls/d/large-table-saw/6303281232.html

https://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/d/craftsman-10-stationary-table/6295423795.html

40~60% of selling price... 60% for mint condition...

the only fear you should have is the motor which Sears routinely uses the low bidder  and extra capacitors to milk more out of it........

check for run out and does the arbor have bushings or bearings..

bushings.. 30% tops.... you will be rebuilding it..

keep in mind the bearings will be low end..

A fried of mine has the granite top and loves it. He says the weight of the top makes it run extremely quiet. He said the only drawback to granite is that the miter slot is rough and sands off the plastic washers in hi Incre miter gauge. also magnetic jigs don't work, and granite is prone to chipping on the edge if a heavy metal object is dropped accidentally on it, but can be repaired with Bondo. He didn't like the fence so replaced it with a Bismeyer. The saw weighs in around 400#

This picture looks like a Bismeyer type fence in the picture.

Herb

There is only two bearings on the saw not counting on the motor. That would be one on each end of the arbor.

Pot metal bearings? you might be thinking about the model T car.

They use to have different widths in their tracks where nothing else would fit? and they used to be straight sides and not the "t" type tracks like a Grizzly has. Every thing that slides in a Grizzly track has adjustable sides to take out any slack.

I have no idea what the saw sold for when new so no idea what it might be worth. Do you know if someone bought the manuf rights from Sears like the wrenches and hand tools .???? Will parts still be made. Nothing really wears out on a table saw except the motor and at times some saw makers had their motors where they had to be bought from the maker because of odd housings. An over the counter motor would not fit. The bearings on the arbor can be bought from any bearing supply. 

The 12" Powermatic tablesaw I bought used at a school auction cost me 320 but I had no knowledge if the motor was good or not.  Before the auction started I informed the lookers of the saw it probably was 3 phase so by the time the bidding started only me and one more guy was the only bidders. You just have to use your brain when spending money and learn what is what before hand.

The only draw back at an auction, I have never seen an auctioneer that knew anything about tools and wood working equipment so he is usually not equipped to give the right answers or explanations as to what he is selling!!!!

Isn't that one of the "zip code" saws? If so, Matt used one for a good long while for his stuff; quite successfully. They are generally well regarded...if Scott Spencer (Knotscott) catches this thread he would have a real good idea of the value. But I wouldn't think your freind will get  more than $350-$400 for it.

Cast iron top.   I need to go take a better look at it.    The friend that has it would like to sell it to the furniture bank.  We could use it there for fabrication the tables that we make.    He's replaced it with a Sawstop with a 48" fence.

The pot metal bearings I was referring to was on a crapsman band saw.   I could not believe that poor construction.   But I'm thinking this is a higher end model (one of the few gems that Sears sold in the last 40 years).  And gee, it might say 6 peak HP.   :rolleyes:

One of the other guys who helps out there is a quite a loose cannon.   Maybe even a loose artillery brigade.   He brought in a contractor's saw and now we're faced with the decision of to spend money on the saw that would do it all when we have a saw that would do part of it, but missing a lot of features like wider rip rails, dust collection, etc.   He's always been self-employed and is not used to marching in a parade, asking permission before acting, etc.

22 minutes ago, kmealy said:

One of the other guys who helps out there brought in a contractor's saw and now we're faced with the decision of to spend money on the saw that would do it all when we have a saw that would do part of it, but missing a lot of features like wider rip rails, dust collection, etc.   

Which Contractor's saw did he bring ? Make and model number please. A picture of it would also be nice. 

Edited by CharlieL

19 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Cast iron top.   I need to go take a better look at it.

A major plus IMO especially if others might be using it i.e. Furniture Bank.

19 minutes ago, kmealy said:

But I'm thinking this is a higher end model (one of the few gems that Sears sold in the last 40 years).

Yep, one of the few things Sears did right was to contract Steel City on this...Truly a shame about Steel City...their website seems to be active and now show they are in Bollingbrook versus Chicago proper, but everything still points to they ceased to do business March-May of 2015 about a year after Axiom Precision acquired them...the "old" Steel City tools were manufactured in the US and were quality tools...The newer versions and the Craftsman Brand came out of the same plant as the Grizzly's if I recall correctly...

This saw, assuming in excellent condition, easily could bring $500-$600+ on CL in your area especially with the cast iron top and if it has the mobile base.

5 hours ago, CharlieL said:

Which Contractor's saw did he bring ? Make and model number please. A picture of it would also be nice. 

It's an older Delta.  I'm guessing 1980s vintage.   Nothing wrong with it, just not a good fit for our needs.    We probably would have sprung for a SawStop, as much as I hate to, for liability reasons because we have a number of people that might be using it.

It was my understanding that Steel City was founded by a bunch of ex-Delta / Rockwell execs and engineers.   I didn't ever hear why they did not make a go of it, I would have bought something if I was in the market.

Edited by kmealy

5 hours ago, kmealy said:

It's an older Delta.  I'm guessing 1980s vintage.   Nothing wrong with it, just not a good fit for our needs.   

I have a older Delta 34-441 Contractor's saw with a 30" Unfence and a full size mobile base that I bought new back in the mid to late 80's. Efficient and user friendly dust collection for it I figured out a few years ago. It wasn't that tough to do after I figured it out. I also added what I feel is a rare Delta 50-390 removable outfeed table hardware kit, a paddle switch under the fence rail, and a link belt. I have it wired for 230 V. It's been a great saw, and the last one that I'll ever need. 

Dcts.jpg

Dctsback.jpg

Edited by CharlieL

Fred, the saw I have the plate on the back I believe it says 34-441, but when I bought the saw the bill shows it was a 34-445X package with the Unifence, full-size mobile base, and the legs and hardware for the right side extension table. I forgot to mention that a few years ago I switched out the Unifence for the newer model of Unifence. 

Edited by CharlieL

It's always a mystery to figure out what Delta's model numbers "mean". Since it's almost always the same basic tool...then they paint it a different color, or throw in a different gizmo, or some other not-so-major change. I guess it's possible that they sold one with only one wing, but mine had 2 and the ones I've seen all had 2. Not sure I've ever seen that saw with cast iron wings, but that doesn't mean they didn't sell one that way.