Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
4DThinker

Tool Changer Survey.

Rate this topic

I'm looking for data on how many unique bits a CNC operator uses for a typical job they run. 

I  do mostly joinery cutting and use at most 2 bits and usually only one. 

The occasional 3D cut will use an end mill for roughing and a ball nose for finish.  2.

Flat 2D/2.5D cuts may use a V-bit for v-carving or inlay, and maybe a downcut spiral end mill for first passes and an upcut spiral end mill for the rest. 

So I'd say I average 1.4 bits per use, or 2 hole bits.

How many bits do you use on average for your CNC projects?   Just the number for each individual board clamped to the CNC.

Thanks for participating!

4D

1, occasionally 2.  I'm doing a 2D job now that requires 4.

David

If you use a router for any part of your woodworking then the number of bits you might use for a single job would still be of interest to me.  Before I had a CNC I might use 3 or 4 router bits in a hand held router or a router mounted in a table with a fence for one furniture project. 

I have some files that I need 5 or 6 bits but the norm is 3 or 4.  Most of the time I try to limit the number of bits to save bit change time but it all depends on how much the smaller bits have to cut.

I use the same bits for 90% for what I do.

1/4 end mill - for roughing and pocket cutting

1/8 end mill - for profiling and pocket cutting

1/8 ball nose 

3/16 ball nose (thanx 4d for that tip using these)

1/4 ball nose (occasionally)

90 deg - for Vcarving (most of the time)

60 deg - for Vcarving (some of the time)

I know I can use a larger bit for clearing and some carving but then it's kind of hard to get the finish bit at the same level and there's usually a ridge of some kind.  Plus you got to know how to do it.  I kind of got into a groove of what works for me and pretty much stick to it.  I get better detail using the smaller bits and can run the machine while I do other things.  I don't care if it takes a little longer.

Typical cut is one bit to rough cut, 1 to finish cut, 1 to Vcarve, and 1 to profile.  Usually 3 or 4 tool changes total.

What I do need is to find an extra long shank 1/8" ball nose and end mill to cut thru 1 1/2" material and still have room for them on my stock gantry height.

Edited by honesttjohn

On 9/8/2017 at 6:45 PM, 4DThinker said:

router for any part of your woodworking then the number of bits you might use for a single job would still be of interest to me.

up to 7...