Mortising?

kmealy

If you guys are talking about a mortising attachment for a drill press like one that is on a real floor model mortising machine, a square chisel around a drill bit,,,,,Then you will need a long cheater pipe on the drill press handle.. I have a Powermatic floor model. The handle is 25"long and you need ever inch of it when using hardwood even with new bit sets.  So I'm not sure if the guys recommending the drill press setup have ever used one?? I would not recommend one.  The right router set up would be my suggestion next to the real thing.

I don't usually enter into discussions on the best of things but not happy with the suggestions.

3 hours ago, kmealy said:

1/2" shank router bit.  If I was going to adopt this, I'd probably eventually opt for an up-cut spiral router bit.

I did this in drill press mode, but I might try in horizontal boring mode

I was going to suggest the spiral bit and the horizontal mode. And, I'd suggest a carriage similar to a sled to hold the work. First, to elevate the work and second to provide a non moveable back stop. On my first attempt, my table got a divot from the rotation of the collet. I didn't do a run through first and the table was a bit too high. Since then, I've used the sled. And, I NEVER trust that fence to not move. 

For the occasional stopped mortise or loose tenon mortise, any of the suggestions offered will get the job done. For through mortises in hard wood though, Patch's Powermatic or similar, is the way to go. 

In building some Morris chairs, several through mortises in white oak were required. A Delta bench top mortiser was used. And, Patch is so right about the need for a cheater. Many times in that process, I wished I'd opted to do stopped mortises with fake tenons glued on where they were to be exposed. And, just as often I regretted not buying the Powermatic.

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Wow, just checked the PM bench top model at Rockler. $599. 

51 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I think the PM floor model is about $1300. Over double the bench model.

Two of the main reasons I don't have either one of these. I guess that's why the promo on Woodsmith Shop says "Powermatic. the Gold standard...";) If it's within your budget and usage volume, absolutely...but poor folks have poor ways so not likely something to appear in my shop garage work area. There are no right or wrong answers here...it comes down to what meets each individual's requirements and budget.

I enjoy fishing occasionally too, but I don't own one of these to do it.:rolleyes: Not saying if I had the means and justification I wouldn't.

image.png.90dbda2222ffdf10a3d87d2025f53968.png

called Sam... he has a Domino...

he said he has over 2,000 dollars in his w/ co9ntinuing costs for care and feeding...

he bought one of my PM bench models and he says the PM gets used way more than the Domino...

Also it he had a Domino transmission failure when it was fairly new...

them he went off on Festool's CS.. I know PM's CS is most excellent...

Did I also mention it has a 5 or 6 hundred dollar factory cart under it. You could put a motor on it and drive it home.

IMG_9348.JPG.f3397ac574f81620d9695bfd54177b7b.JPG

I noticed it has a little Texas dirt on it but you would probably cherish the thought of owning some.

First factory cart I ever bought. Everything else has a yours truly built set of wheels.